Which bluetooth?

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
mhr43

Which bluetooth?

Post by mhr43 »

I would appreciate forum members' views on which Bluetooth system to buy.
I want one that pairs with my phone and my Garmin 660 sat nav. I  do not need pillion or group contact. I am  looking for reliability of pairing and simplicity of use, as well an ability to transfer the unit to any  future helmet.

I have had a Sena SMH5 which had an intermittent pairing problem and has now ceased to function.

guest2360

Re: Which bluetooth?

Post by guest2360 »

Has your bike, assuming it's an LC have an audio unit.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Yes it is a 2015 LC without the radio option.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I hate Bluetooth but with a non audio bike and a Nav V have had to compromise.  I put on an Autocom Logic with a Bluetooth dongle.
No charging, very high quality stereo, multi helmet use at only £35  helmet. And they last for years.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Had the discussion many times. But I have just bought a Scala Rider Packtalk, works brilliantly  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Had the discussion many times. But I have just bought a Scala Rider Packtalk, works brilliantly  :)

Just watch, there will be a new improved Packtalk next year.  There always is.
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

My Sena SMH10 works well with my phone in my jacket pocket so I can use it on any bike. I use earbuds with it, but not all back plates have the female socket to accept your earbuds so make note of what you're buying. By using in-ear buds, ambient noise is reduced and music quality is very good. I can receive phone calls too (don't care about making them).  Can connect to nav too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Had the discussion many times. But I have just bought a Scala Rider Packtalk, works brilliantly  :)

Just watch, there will be a new improved Packtalk next year.  There always is.

Hopefully there will be, why would you want to stick to old technology (wires). They upgrade the software regularly, but I won't be buying a new set until this one gives up the ghost, which should hopefully be a few years away. i will have changed my bike by then and guess what, no installation will be needed or fitting of modules.  ;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I understand where your coming from but the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. 
Grant you no connection cable , but that takes less time than turning on the headset.
No bike installation , but that's a one time event resulting in constant power and of course can be moved to the new bike.  Mine is on bike number 3.
If you have dished out for an LC with audio none of them work fully except the BMW one which is gold plated and not perfect.
But each to his own ah.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Not sure there's a right and a wrong with Bluetooth vs Autocom. I've not yet fitted my Autocom to the new RT LE but I'm persevering with My new Scala Packtalk, yesterday I went for a ride with a mate who had anther make of Bluetooth comms, we paired and had a good duplex connection and the quality was really good, acoustically better I think than my old Autocom. Still a bit of a fag to set up though. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Agree with all the comments, I like to swap to my other bikes, so BT works for me. I can listen to the radio fine, my wife never wants music and if she did, she can use the built in radio in the Packtalk. But at the end of the day, we can all make our own decisions. I like the Scala stuff, but its not perfect, but a pretty good compromise. Plus it fits my helmet which is not a BMW one
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

I recently purchased the Sena S10 dual (latest model) and found it to be an excellent bit of kit. Quick & easy installation with latest version of BT giving long battery life and excellent audio, all driven by an iphone app. Happy days : )
mack62

Post by mack62 »

I use the Nolan N-Com system.  The early version have a few problems but my current version seems reliable with my Nougat Android phone and the Navigator V. 

It works best if you have a Nolan helmet. 
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

I bought an Interphone Sport (not the Tour as I mistakenly put previously) and have been pleased with how it works.
I'm using it to get directions from my BMW Navigator V, it also plays the audio from the bike's audio system, but music sound quality is quite tinny and not worth listening to.
Last edited by pwbike on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

[size=3px]It our preference not to be linked rider to pillion - so I bought "Sena 3S Bluetooth Intercom - Wired Boom Microphone" because I use a flip front helmet. Hooked it up through Motorrad/Garmin Smart phone Link app. Got some discount on price - I gave them £84:00. Works very well. Holds its 8 hour talk easily. 2 hours to fully charge. Small & Discrete on/off volume control is the only external part. [/size]