What to wear in Southern Spain

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
Liverpool Brick

What to wear in Southern Spain

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to the south of Spain hoping to finish just north of Ronda and I'm wondering what to wear given the heat. I saw some British lads on GS's in the region last year all sporting T-sheets and I thought that was foolish - who would dream of riding a GS in the UK in a T-Sheet (even on a nice day)?
I have RST Ventek trousers which allow a huge cooling draft around the tackle but my RST jacket is very hot. I'm not at all happy about riding without armour (shoulders, elbows, back, hip , knees - everywhere). So, what can I get which is both protective without being too warm and is not too expensive?
Cheers,
Andy
Last edited by Liverpool Brick on Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Re: What to wear in Southern Spain

Post by richardbd »

Liverpool Brick wrote: Hi Guys,

I'm planning a trip to the south of Spain hoping to finish just north of Ronda and I'm wondering what to wear given the heat. I saw some British lads on GS's in the region last year all sporting T-sheets and I thought that was foolish - who would dream of riding a GS in the UK in a T-Sheet (even on a nice day)?
I have RST Ventek trousers which allow a huge cooling draft around the tackle but my RST jacket is very hot. I'm not at all happy about riding without armour (shoulders, elbows, back, hip , knees - everywhere). So, what can I get which is both protective without being too warm and is not too expensive?
Cheers,
Andy

When I was down there, I wore Dainese Drake pants and a Dainese Spedio mesh jacket.  Great blend of ventilation and protection.  Fairly affordable too...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I would find myself a light weight air jacket with armour. I have a Rukka Airider jacket seems price has gone up from last year http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=42459605&ViewAction=ViewProduct This jacket with D30 armour is about as cool as your are going to get. Its a good jacket. Add a lightweight over jacket such as Revit H2O £45 and you are good to go. If the Airider is too expensive then I'm sure you could find something similar but cheaper. I personally would avoid jackets that have a waterproof removable inner liner, I think they are too much of a faff when it starts to rain. A breathable over jacket such as the Revit H2O is very quick to put on at the side of the road. Also very useful in winter over your normal riding jacket as an extra layer for warmth. A brilliant piece of kit for the price and it packs away into a very small package.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

jackets that have a waterproof removable inner liner, I think they are too much of a faff when it starts to rain[/size]
I agree. The Rukka stuff is usually expensive so I'll look for a cheaper mesh jacket and waterproof over - good idea.  Looks like I need to do my research as usual.
Thanks for your contributions.
Andy
Last edited by Liverpool Brick on Sun May 15, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Levisp wrote: I personally would avoid jackets that have a waterproof removable inner liner, I think they are too much of a faff when it starts to rain.

I agree with this.  My Dainese mesh jacket has a waterproof liner but I've never worn it.  I just take a waterproof over jacket for bad weather and an EDZ windrow liner (which packs REALLY tiny) for cold mornings...
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Agree those EDZ liners are another really useful piece of kit.