Helmet cam

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
UKDucatiman

Helmet cam

Post by UKDucatiman »

Be thinking about getting one of these for my up coming tour. Any experience, recommendations or comments (pros or cons) much appreciated.
guest2368

Re: Helmet cam

Post by guest2368 »

I have been using a Drift Stealth 2 for the past year or so.  I use it mounted either on the right side of my helmet or under the headlight of the bike.  I also have the remote control that I mount on the left handlebar.  The remote lets me edit on the hoof instead of having the camera record constantly.  I can get about 1.5 to 2 hours recoding before I have to charge it.  The only downside I have found is the battery is built in so you have to stop recoding to charge it, apart from that it is a great camera that gives good results.  The built in mic is rubbish and there is no external input, not a problem for me as I don't do 'vlogs'.  I am considering getting a second camera so when one is charging, in the topbox, I can continue to record.

Some of the results can be seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/sofnolime/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, like sofnolime, I also have a Drift helmet camera, but the HD model (now superceded by the Ghost model). I also have it mounted on the RH side of my helmet, using the simple but effective plastic clipping mount supplied, the base of which is attached to the helmet with a thin 3M adhesive pad. It won't come off in a hurry! The Drift HD (& Ghost)  have a video playback screen which is handy for viewing your vids. The rechargeable (and removable) lithium battery gives about 1.5 hrs charge (dramatically reduced time in cold weather!). The camera records well in both sunlight and low light conditions. When I go off touring, I've learnt to take along several micro SD cards and a couple of charged spare batteries. The HD also has the remote fob which saves having to faff about with the camera buttons! The Drift cameras have a rubber skin which is great for shock absorbency etc (ie if dropped!)

Having compared the Drift camera with the Go-Pro, I believe that the Go-Pro is a superior camera all round, BUT it's so erfing big and lumpy (and expensive) if you want to mount it on your lid! Anyway, just my two penneth on the subject..... :)
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Not wanting to do a Schumacher ( or look like a twat) I've kept away from Helmet Cams. I've got a Soocoo S70 mounted on my screen just above the headlight. It's fully waterproof without a massive case to protect it (unlike the Gopro) as is the USB lead which I connect to the bike power.
When I switch the bike on it starts to record, when I switch off it stops. Simples!
With a 32Gig micro sd I managed to record the whole of a weekend on the IOM at 720 dpi. It does 1080 but you'll hardly notice the difference. It has a remote control (which I don't bother with) but I do use the Android phone app to change the setup.
One other thing I really don't want to record my speedo etc so that nice Mr. Plod can seize the evidence should I momentarily slightly exceed the speed limit.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

MacJ wrote: Not wanting to do a Schumacher ( or look like a twat) I've kept away from Helmet Cams. I've got a Soocoo S70 mounted on my screen just above the headlight. It's fully waterproof without a massive case to protect it (unlike the Gopro) as is the USB lead which I connect to the bike power.
When I switch the bike on it starts to record, when I switch off it stops. Simples!
With a 32Gig micro sd I managed to record the whole of a weekend on the IOM at 720 dpi. It does 1080 but you'll hardly notice the difference. It has a remote control (which I don't bother with) but I do use the Android phone app to change the setup.
One other thing I really don't want to record my speedo etc so that nice Mr. Plod can seize the evidence should I momentarily slightly exceed the speed limit.

MacJ, I agree re Schumacher (and the twat look!).

Any chance of a pic of the camera mounted?

rbd
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

This is the mounting I made from a spare piece of aluminium sheet. It is very stable with the camera mounted. The USB cable runs under the screen  to the power  outlet on the right hand side.
[attachimg=1]
Attachments
20160503_151953.jpg
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I thought I'd posted both and I'm sorry about the orientation. [attachimg=1]
Attachments
20160503_152339.jpg
Last edited by MacJ on Wed May 18, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Thanks for the feedback. I'd not considered a camera fixed to the bike but definitely see advantages here. Food for thought
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Yes, that is a good set up, but just remember what exactly you want to be filming, ie always forward facing on the bike, or seeing a bigger panorama with a hemet cam.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I lost interest when I read the words "I made from a spare piece of aluminium sheet".

If you can't buy it, it's beyond me...

;)
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

yes, you can buy it. Look for Cam Rack at Wunderlich

http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/cam-rack-8.html

I have it installed for a sony HDR-AZ1
Attachments
DSC_0169.jpg
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

You sure can. In silver for the very modest sum of £65!!!!!
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

Not being handy, has a price  :(
TJriderVA

Post by TJriderVA »

You may want to think long and hard about whether attaching anything to the outside of a helmet is a good idea. In a crash it will catch and create twisting which may create more damage than the actual impact. It makes sense, your brain is encased in fluid in a hard box. Twist it fast and your brain does not follow. Newer helmets (mostly bicycle for now) incorporate MIPS style protection which absorbers the torque when you fall, not just the impact. See http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/