What would it take to get the brake system from a 2007 to a 2005 model ?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Irimiadan

What would it take to get the brake system from a 2007 to a 2005 model ?

Post by Irimiadan »

I found a good looking bike, well mentained and a decent price, but It has the ABS system removed (pipes connected directly to the calipers). Now, i could install again the servo ABS but i was wondering if it can take the newer ABS without servo.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: What would it take to get the brake system from a 2007 to a 2005 model ?

Post by T6pilot »

$$$
And no resale value
Run don't walk away
Jim
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Totally agree with T6pilot  get one that's right from the offset
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not possible.  Different brake calliper to start with and of course totally different wiring.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Irimiadan wrote: I found a good looking bike, well mentained and a decent price, but It has the ABS system removed (pipes connected directly to the calipers). Now, i could install again the servo ABS but i was wondering if it can take the newer ABS without servo.

I'm the proud owner of a very clean (read no corrosion) low mileage (16k) 06 RT fitted with servo brakes. I have never had any issues and probably suspect that  the brakes are 'right up there' when working correctly. But and its a big but any problems going forward are going to be really expensive to fix, read £1,500 for a 'new' item and after a gap of 9 years there cant be many units around. A recondition part cost £750 so also not cheap. Yes, you could pick one up from a breaker but that has to be a big risk. So most folk go the route your bike has taken and basically throw out the servo and reconnect the front and rear brakes giving a conventional set-up. Whilst workable it has to dramatically reduce the value of the bike. Probably best to heed the advice from the other members and look for an 07 or later bike.
Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

It is a matter of budget tough. As if i had 10000E to spare ... it would have been ok.
I doubt i will find a decent spec 2007 under 5.5 - 6k euros.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Irimiadan wrote: It is a matter of budget tough. As if i had 10000E to spare ... it would have been ok.
I doubt i will find a decent spec 2007 under 5.5 - 6k euros.
Well, if on a tight budget and happy with the brake set-up, with your new found knowledge you should get the bike for a steal. And no servo worries ^-^
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Theres quite a few 08 and 58 ex police bikes on E Bay from £3000 to £4000 they might be ok.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

[size=2px]Whilst workable it has to dramatically reduce the value of the bike[/size]
Would it not also have serious insurance implications - ditching the braking system in favour of your own set up? I'm sure if you're involved in an accident and the insurers check, you'd be deep in the doo.
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
dave y

Post by dave y »

While possible to retro-fit, I don't think it would really provide the same level of safety/performance. 
One of the things I learned while searching for a replacement servo module is that while the modules are physically identical, they are very, very specific with respect to model and year (and in some cases, month) of production.  I believe this is directly related to the variables including model weight, weight distribution, valve bias, brake specifications, etc... 

In my case, I was unable to find a module that would work. 

If I was going to all the effort of trying fit newer to older, I would take the ABSectomy option (which I did on my sidecar rig) and just convert to non-ABS.

Dave

Irimiadan

Post by Irimiadan »

dave y wrote:[/size]While possible to retro-fit, I don't think it would really provide the same level of safety/performance.  One of the things I learned while searching for a replacement servo module is that while the modules are physically identical, they are very, very specific with respect to model and year (and in some cases, month) of production.  I believe this is directly related to the variables including model weight, weight distribution, valve bias, brake specifications, etc...  In my case, I was unable to find a module that would work.  If I was going to all the effort of trying fit newer to older, I would take the ABSectomy option (which I did on my sidecar rig) and just convert to non-ABS.Dave
It is not actualy a retrofit. The bike had the abs in the past, and it still has all parts they are just bypassed, and the abs unit is not functional. To get the original servo would mean to refurbish the ABS unit.Now i dont know if the "servo" is separate or is integrated in the ABS unit.Can't a dealer reprogram the bike ?

Back in my country no one cares what u did to the motorbike as long as it is braking ok. I remember old days when i was a sales agent we used to have small cars (tico, matiz) and at the MOT equivalent station we had to step on the rollers to help them brake because the car didnt had enough braking power to pass the MOT(they have set limits pounds of force which u cant get out of the back wheels of a 600kg car)

Anyway, insurance doesnt matter. I am just thinking that i like things original so i am looking forward to install the original ABS system on it. And since i have the convenience of an already de ABS'd vehicle i can fiddle trying to get the best of both worlds ABS no servo on a 2005 RT

[size=2px]
step2534 wrote:
[/size][size=2px][size=2px] Theres quite a few 08 and 58 ex police bikes on E Bay from £3000 to £4000 they might be ok.[/size][size=2px][size=2px][/quote][/size]
Those bikes are too basic. Ie. no options, wich will drop the resale value if it will be the case. [/size]
Last edited by Irimiadan on Wed May 18, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This thread is turning into a scrapheap challenge. 
What you are suggesting is just not possible.  Different callipers,and wiring loom just for a start.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed May 18, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
step2534

Post by step2534 »

Irimiadan, Sorry but I cant work out what you want.

What do you mean Insurance doesn't matter ??

Police bikes too basic  one minute you are on about cost, they are the right price

I get the feeling you are just trying to wind people up and are talking SxxT.  If I were you Id go look at a Honda
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think it's time we all step back from this one.
JayBees7

Post by JayBees7 »

Well if it was me and I hankered over a set of brakes so much then I would trade in my beemer for one that had the required system installed. Simples really actually in 95000 miles of riding beepers with ABS only twice has the system actuated just saying.