K100RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
circlehappenork

K100RT

Post by circlehappenork »

I've got an offer to get an '85 K100RT customised as a cafe racer. I've seen the bike, but I'm no mechanic. So I could only trust the seller, that he tells the truth. The bike is said to have done 150k miles. No engine rebuilt, new clutch and the seller said that the rear drive splines were lubricated now and then and that they are in good condition. That was the only thing I knew to ask when I've viewed the bike. The offer stands for £2k. Any thoughts/ suggestions?
Last edited by circlehappenork on Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3713

K100RT

Post by guest3713 »

circlehappenork wrote: I've got an offer to get an '85 K100RT customised as a cafe racer. I've seen the bike, but I'm no mechanic. So I could only trust the seller, that he tells the truth. The bike is said to have done 150k miles. No engine rebuilt, new clutch and the seller said that the rear drive splines were lubricated now and then and that they are in good condition. That was the only thing I knew to ask when I've viewed the bike. The offer stands for £2k. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

I bought '73 R75/5 Toaster last year for $1500.00 Owner was asking $4500.00.

I'd look at the bike with a very critical eye and try your best to estimate what it would cost you to restore the bike to full road worthiness, meaning everything works as it's supposed to. Research, research, research that model and year for others who have restored. You will undoubtedly find someone who has done a full restore and documented it. Learn about the cost, specific items to look for, and pitfalls. There
will undoubtedly be pitfalls.

Forget historical value, nostalgia, and "café racer". An example of almost every make and model of antique has been converted to a "café racer". This does not make the bike more valuable. Compare other bikes for sale of same make, model, and year and come up with a reasonable average price for that particular bike. Then subtract the cost to make it road worthy. Your goal is to purchase at a price that allows you room to repair what needs repair and then be able to sell at break even cost or better. Don't get upside down on an antique high mileage bike.

The bike your looking at is VERY high mileage. Factor the mileage into the equation and assume from that only, it may need a lot of TLC and replacement of consumables such as brakes, tires, battery, plugs, fluids, filters, bearings, etc.

I'd make a standing offer of half the asking price or less. If your offer is declined, politely leave your phone number and walk away. Do not be surprised when you get a call back a week or two later accepting your offer, or a lower counter.

For reference, here's an '85 K100RT for sale on eBay. The guy talks a lot about maintenance work and minor/major replacements in the body of the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-K-Series-/2 ... 2036954404

My 2 cents.

Good luck with the purchase.
Last edited by guest3713 on Fri May 20, 2016 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
circlehappenork

Re: K100RT

Thanks LATiger for reply.

The bloke who is selling it, had done an MoT for her recently. I don't think that looking at restoration pages will be of much help, because of the look of the bike. See attached photo.
I'll try to get another look and check for some signs of wear that I've found on the web. I'm not aiming to have another bike in pristine condition. Just want it to run properly :D
The starting price was £2300, offered £2k on my first visit - was declined. Couple of days later he said that it's a good price, which makes me think I could knock the price down even further.
Attachments
$_57.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just before you take a test ride be aware those brakes didn't work when they were new. 
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

No disrespect, but £2k seems an awful lot.  Last year I sold my '88 LT with 68k for much less and in fantastic condition with abs working too!

Do yourself a favour, buy a non modified K100 with less mileage and do it yourself into the cafe racer of your dreams, it's easier and cheaper than you think.
;)
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi,
I have a '91 K75S and its an absolutely fabulous bike - but BMW did iron out some of the problems in the K100 when they made the 75. For a more accurate answer to your questions log onto http://www.motobrick.com/ This is a site dedicated to all things K and is a very, very good site. The knowledge base of the members is fantastic.
Personally I think the price is a bit steep. 
Good luck
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
circlehappenork

Thank you for all replies. She'll stay with the seller for someone else to get it. Maybe I'll try to get something my age and make some toy of it by myself.