First big tour

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
guest2360

Re: First big tour

Post by guest2360 »

Interesting item.  As far as stickers on helmets go they state the AA and the RAC both quote the requirement and say they contacted these two organisation on May 2015 for clarification.  The AA are still saying they are required 12 on and I have found another site that states there is no French law about them that states it's only for those living in France, it just states all helmets At about £3 a set, I don't think it's worth not doing it.  You can take them off when you get home.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

RTman10 wrote: Interesting item. As far as stickers on helmets go they state the AA and the RAC both quote the requirement and say they contacted these two organisation on May 2015 for clarification. The AA are still saying they are required 12 on and I have found another site that states there is no French law about them that states it's only for those living in France, it just states all helmets At about £3 a set, I don't think it's worth not doing it. You can take them off when you get home.
You can always miss out France altogether!😆😉😨
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Is the correct answer
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Steve F wrote: Glad to hear you had a trouble-free journey South. What's your next destination en route to the Italian lakes?
Went into Italy via the Simplon pass which was great and stayed overnight in Vebania. Today we hit the mountains going to Santa Maria Maggiore. The weather was really challenging, it has heavy rain and some very steep and tight turns! Dropped back into Switzerland, Italy and onto Menaggio via Locarno. Up to St Morits tomorrow.
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

The Italian motorbike tour 2016

The bike was brilliant from start to finish. Motorways, A, B and narrow mountain passes and apart from the odd sloppy change from 1st to 2nd giving me a few false neutrals it took everything in its stride and never missed a beat. In all we covered 2,300 miles in 11 days. Here's the main things which I learnt:

1. European roads and the consideration of other road users towards motorbikes are 100% better than the UK.
2. Have the right kit for all conditions, we had everything from very heavy storms to 30 degree sunshine. I used a Rukka suit and it was great and whilst a tab heavier than other kit with a cool suit on it was not overly hot and I never got wet.
3. Keep hydrated, don't ride for more and two hours and drink plenty of water when you stop.
4. Have an easy to reach place for storing a credit card and toll tickets.
5. Have a local map, in the mountains the sat nav does not always behave.
6. Wash out your bike clothing regularly and have a dry bag just in case the stuff is still damp in the morning.
7. Have a small laptop /notebook with your map software of choice.
8. Learn some local phrases, at least to book a room and order a beer.
9. Keep an eye open for mobile radar traps we came across a number in France and Switzerland. As for Italy I'm not even sure I saw a police car!
10. As soon as you get home start planning your text tour.

In summary, bloody marvellous :be happy:
Last edited by UKDucatiman on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Glad to hear the tour went off without a hitch! Once you get the bug, that's it.....!!😀
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Glad you had a great time.

Where to next?
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

richardbd wrote: Glad you had a great time.
Where to next?

Open to suggestions but was thinking either Germany or Spain.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

UKDucatiman wrote:
Open to suggestions but was thinking either Germany or Spain.

I did a lap around Spain and Portugal a couple of years ago - even stopped off in Andalucia for a couple of days' trail riding.  Great fun...