Top Box brake light

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
mattye

Top Box brake light

Post by mattye »

Hi all,

I've bought the BMW large top box for my 2014 RT. There is a blanking plate over where an additional brake light can go.

Anyone know where to get one and if its easy to fit?

Thanks
guest2360

Re: Top Box brake light

Post by guest2360 »

Your local BMW dealer.  20 minute job to put in, assuming your top box has the electrics installed. 
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

mattye wrote: Hi all,

I've bought the BMW large top box for my 2014 RT. There is a blanking plate over where an additional brake light can go.

Anyone know where to get one and if its easy to fit?

Thanks

Does you bike have the central locking?
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Ordered mine after I'd collected the bike with the top box fitted on collection.
Looked in the brochure for the brake light , £130 and it showed a nice chrome surround........
I barked a tad at the dealer when only the brake light was fitted to the black plastic existing part.....!
Asked dealer 'where's the chromed bit?'. Reply, oh that's a K1600 box shown in the brochure, same box but it will cost you another £130........

Robbing bar stewards !
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Think you will find the top box that has the chrome light surround is the one for the 1600 GTL.  It has a different backrest and is not suitable for the RT.  The surround is available as an accessory though Pt No 46548522938
Last edited by guest2360 on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Save yourself a lot of money and order from KFM, http://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/  The installation is very easy and will take you about 20-30 minutes.  The exact parts you need are:

77 51 8 520 044  (brake light)
46 54 8 522 938  (chrome lid trim)

Just be sure your bike has central locking and the full featured (powered) box.  I made the mistake of getting the wired top case, but my bike didn't have central locking, so I didn't have a receiver socket to plug into.  I ended up getting it to work with a CANOpener3 module from clearwater lights, but that was a bit of hassle and expense I could have lived without.

PM me if you need any more information.
BMW MOA #210438
stealth1

Post by stealth1 »

If you are like me and anal about keeping the chrome clean on your bike don't replace the black plastic surround with chrome. I sold my K1600GTL a few weeks ago that had the chrome surround and every time I closed the lid I got finger prints on the chrome and was constantly wiping it down. My RT has the black plastic and I am keeping it that way.
Enjoy.

Stealth1

MC
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

Anyone know if this is easy to fit for a novice, is it like a plug and play thing or do I need to know about splicing into electrics etc?
I can probably work out how to fit the actual light but its the electrics that scare me off??

Cheers
Stuart

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I fit one from the dealers. Easy fit just plug and play. You need something thin to push out the plastic centre pins of retaining plastic pop rivet type fasteners when dismantling. This is what I used.

https://k6gtl.com/index.php/topic,74.0.html
Gman1969

Post by Gman1969 »

cool thanks - how do you go about the electrics?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Has your bike got central locking if so there will be a plug
In the top box for the break light
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

As Pete says mine had a plug already there.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Gman1969 wrote: cool thanks - how do you go about the electrics?
You have a couple options.  If you have central locking, it's a snap, the deluxe topbox will plug directly into that round 10-pin connector under the seat.  If you don't have central locking, you can get a device that plugs into the TPMS sensor plug from either Clearwater lights (CANOpener) or Hex ezCAN, which will then allow you splice the brake light into that adaptor.  Do NOT attempt to simply cut into your existing bike wiring and splice in.  Chances of success are slim, and chances of causing a serious electrical problem are high.
Last edited by timminator on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438