2016 R1200RT LC clutch master cylinder recall

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yellowjacket

2016 R1200RT LC clutch master cylinder recall

Post by yellowjacket »

Does anyone know about a recall on the clutch slave cylinder on the new RT's. If so, is it something that I should rush to have done or is it just precautionary. I went in for a front tire on my 2016 R1200RT LC and the BMW shop said I had a recall on the clutch slave cylinder. They did not have the part so I left with just the new front tire. Am I safe to ride or will the bike jump out into traffic when I pull in the clutch?
guest2360

Re: 2016 R1200RT LC clutch master cylinder recall

Post by guest2360 »

You are correct.  However not all.  It not only covers the RT but also GSs , Rs etc.  You can call your dealer with your chassis number and they will know if your bike is on the list  I'm told BMW will advising owners direct.  My 14 is not effected but they couldn't tell me what years are.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue May 24, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Gollub

Post by Alan Gollub »

I was just in last Saturday for my first service  16 RT.  He looked up and said no campaigns.  Took my $ and said bye.
Was this just released today??
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

All I know is that I need a new back tire and he showed me the recall on the clutch master cylinder. I will have the work done tomorrow and pass on what I find out. I hope it is not like the Harley hydraulic clutch recall. Pull in the clutch and put it in gear and away you go right thru the intersection. This happened to my friend with his new Harley before the recall.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Well I picked up the RT today and all is well. The BMW shop told me that was the most under estimated recall they had ever seen. The factory sent them nice pictures and a step by step repair procedure. They had an estimated time of 1 hour to do the job. It took my shop 8 hours and they are very pissed off. The job was to change the piston and seals in the clutch slave down on the engine. They said that they had to remove lots of stuff including the starter to get the slave cylinder out. I am glad I did not have to pay. By the way, I really like my Pilot Road GT tire on the back.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

I spoke to my dealer here in Portland today.  The recall is for real, but seems to be affecting mostly bikes that were manufactured in the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2015.  My bike was manufactured in March of 2016 and is not affected by the recall.
BMW MOA #210438
dcdrive

Post by dcdrive »

Same goes here took in my 2016 R1200RT for break in service and mentioned a shifting problem  they held would not let me take bike home gave me loaner and said damage would occur to bike if ridden. Waiting on rep. to make call on fix. Have not made 1st payment on bike      sucks royally 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What type of shifting problem.  Between all the gears or just into some?
step2534

Post by step2534 »

In all honesty wouldn't you think that all the years BMW having been making bikes they would get a clutch slave cylinder right.

They develop all this technology and a simple mechanical part lets it all down, ridiculous
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As all the Slave cylinders are the same it would appear they have found a production fault in a batch made last year, not a design problem I would suggest.  It happens to all manufactures , at least BMW are quick to put things right if it's considered a safety issue.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gliderpilot

Post by gliderpilot »

I have just got my 2016 1200RT from break-in service and discussed the clutch recall with the service department. According to them, the recall concerns a potential hydraulic fluid leak from the clutch cylinder assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dcdrive

Post by dcdrive »

Shifting into first she lurches forward loud gear crushing noise. I know some noise is expected typical for bmw but sounds like a Harley when it goes into first especially when warm. ( no dish intended Harley)  now they tell me the clutch disc cover is cracked we will see...
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

I spoke to Cannon BMW today and they know of no RT clutch recall in the UK.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I called Marshals in Laceby, they told me the RT was not affected, only the RS & GS (disturbing).
Added that it wasn't a recall, it was a product improvement that would be done when next service was due.

Scary or what  :not speak:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I called Marshals in Laceby, they told me the RT was not affected, only the RS & GS (disturbing).
Added that it wasn't a recall, it was a product improvement that would be done when next service was due.

I'm told it does cover some RTs  Probably they have put VIN numbers for their bikes and got none. I was also told BMW would be notifying effected owners direct which they only do with a recall.