How is the new RT in hot weather?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
BackAtIt53

Re: How is the new RT in hot weather?

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Just received my monthly Rider Magazine where they did a review of the Cee Baily Sport screen. I agree with the reviewer that the stock windshield will go up higher than I would ever want and yes I would like a bit more air to the chest and shoulders. I just checked their web site and am seriously considering ordering for myself. Check it out: www.ceebaileys.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-2014-Motorcycle-Windshield .
Stay safe, enjoy! 8) [size=78%] [/size]
Oh the places we will go
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Hey Apehair,
I just ordered the new Cee Bailey sport shield for my 16 RT (my kids wanted to know what I want for Fathers day). It should arrive next week. The smaller size (21x15) should flow more air and help with these +90° days. I will let you know.
Till then, stay safe, enjoy the ride. 8)
Oh the places we will go
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bike was great in the hot weather last weekend. Plenty of air, didn't get too hot. It was all of 60 degrees, boiling for the UK.  :whistle:
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

BackAtIt53 wrote: Hey Apehair,
I just ordered the new Cee Bailey sport shield for my 16 RT (my kids wanted to know what I want for Fathers day). It should arrive next week. The smaller size (21x15) should flow more air and help with these +90° days. I will let you know.
Please do. I'm presently suffering in 80/90 F in southern Spain and have removed the screen entirely for some relief, altho the wind rush limits comfortable riding to the mid 60s mph.

If a 21" CB isn't the solution I'll probably try cutting down an old screen to 17/18" as others have, to simply tidy the front end and go naked.
Last edited by Lucky on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mercator1

Post by mercator1 »

In the summer in Alabama, I regularly ride when it's 100F outside.  Having traded a 2005 model RT in on the RTLC, I can say that the RTLC is hotter.  The left fairing vent (was told it was the oil cooler side) bakes my left knee if I don't keep it tucked in near the tank.
apehair

Post by apehair »

BackAtIt53 wrote: Hey Apehair,

Thanks, 53.  Would love to hear what you think of it.

ape
LIRider

Post by LIRider »

Not the greatest of pictures but here's the stock screen cut down to 17.5".  I do get plenty of wind on my helmet and upper chest and if I raise the screen I can cut that back considerably.  However, it's still not like riding a naked bike ... the fairing still diverts most of the wind around you.  If I stand up on the pegs every now and then, I get a good shot of cooling air through my mesh gear.
Attachments
IMG_1348.jpg
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You wouldn't do that if you lived over here. BMW did very much the same thing on a 1600GT and renamed it Sport.  So you have probably made it faster as well as cooler.
rsvldave

Post by rsvldave »

oil cooler on an rt!! ask the dealer to show ya that one, when its over 100 degrees the last thing I want is hot air blowing in my face. my rt is great in hot weather just keep your jacket on open the vents drink lots of water and don't use mesh gear you will evaporate too much water.
JoeDabbs

Post by JoeDabbs »

I've had the '10 and '11, and my '14 is much better!
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

To all our hot weather riding friends. Received and installed my Cee Bailey Sport screen the other day. What a difference this screen makes. From the saddle it looks half the size of the original, (original is 24x21, sport is 21x15) but it provides a wonderful pocket of very smooth MOVING air. My check ride was on the super-slab I commute on daily, it was 91° F and about 90% humidity and it felt like I was wearing the weather like a heavy coat. At speed (±80 MPH) with the screen raised about 25% I could feel the air moving through my jacket sleeves and upper body, while at the same time there was no wind buffet or excessive noise around my helmet. If you ride in HOT weather, this is the screen to have. On top of everything else, it looks great. I have included a couple of pictures. While I was uploading pictures, I found this one of the Heli-bars I recently installed as well, for those who only know of the Ilium Works risers.
Have a great day all.
Attachments
IMG_1855.JPG
Oh the places we will go
apehair

Post by apehair »

BackAtIt53 wrote: To all our hot weather riding friends. Received and installed my Cee Bailey Sport screen the other day. What a difference this screen makes. From the saddle it looks half the size of the original, (original is 24x21, sport is 21x15) but it provides a wonderful pocket of very smooth MOVING air. My check ride was on the super-slab I commute on daily, it was 91° F and about 90% humidity and it felt like I was wearing the weather like a heavy coat. At speed (±80 MPH) with the screen raised about 25% I could feel the air moving through my jacket sleeves and upper body, while at the same time there was no wind buffet or excessive noise around my helmet. If you ride in HOT weather, this is the screen to have. On top of everything else, it looks great. I have included a couple of pictures. While I was uploading pictures, I found this one of the Heli-bars I recently installed as well, for those who only know of the Ilium Works risers.
Have a great day all.

53, thanks a bunch for the update.  Good to hear.

Sunday I rode 350 miles in 85 degrees here in Colorado, which has lower humidity than most of the country.  I had on a t-shirt and a heavy Klim gore-tex jacket with lots of vents.  Mid-weight gloves. Oddly enough, my upper body was OK.  My legs didn't get any air, though.  I need to get a seat that breathes better (or use those bead seats that circulate more air) and better summer pants.

We did get a long afternoon downpour, with temps dropping into the mid 50's, so the weather protection was nice in the rain.

ape

apehair

Post by apehair »

I've had a chance to ride the RT a little more in hot weather.  The wind blast with the stock windshield is adequate to keep my torso cool, but my legs get no air at all, and after a while I can feel the heat build up in my riding pants.

I'm going to experiment with removing the plastic panels below the cylinders, to see how it affects the wind flow.

I think one of the smaller, sportier windshields would not only direct more cooling wind at my head and torso, but would be quieter, too.  I notice that if I stand when the stock shield is in the lowest setting, it takes just a couple of inches before the wind blast gets much quieter.

Sorry this is taking so long to evaluate, but I've been uncharacteristically busy with chores around the house.  You can only ignore a house for so long (in my case, 8 years), before you have to catch up on maintenance.

ape
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

apehair wrote: I've had a chance to ride the RT a little more in hot weather.  The wind blast with the stock windshield is adequate to keep my torso cool, but my legs get no air at all, and after a while I can feel the heat build up in my riding pants.

I'm going to experiment with removing the plastic panels below the cylinders, to see how it affects the wind flow.

I think one of the smaller, sportier windshields would not only direct more cooling wind at my head and torso, but would be quieter, too.  I notice that if I stand when the stock shield is in the lowest setting, it takes just a couple of inches before the wind blast gets much quieter.

Sorry this is taking so long to evaluate, but I've been uncharacteristically busy with chores around the house.  You can only ignore a house for so long (in my case, 8 years), before you have to catch up on maintenance.

ape
I ride the new RT-P a lot for a part time job and on my own bike (2016 RT) for pleasure. I've got Rukka ArmaS and it's far too hot on the bike above about 22c particularly if your doing a lot of city riding and filtering and on an off the bike. I've also got a Rukka Airman jacket which I use in warm and hot weather and that really helps and making riding more comfortable. I think comfort is more likely to be improved by using summer riding gear (full CE approved) rather than changing the screen, but as always with biking, it's down to personal preference. Im saving up for fully vented BKS leathers :-))
Noel

Post by Noel »

RT's fabulous in hot weather.  2nd day of a 24D 9,163m ride that started in June 4 of this year took us out of Bishop CA over to 95S by way of 168/266 OTW to St. George UT past Las Vegas we experienced 113F for a few hours, uphill most of that east of LV.  Hyperkewl vest at $19, plus a wet neck wrap kept me adequately comfortable.  The idea of buying this luxury ST then chopping down or removing the screen seems bizarre to me.  So very nice to have the adjustment from full up to full down and I used the adjustment all the time.