Disable Speed Camera Warnings

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
SwartGevaar

Disable Speed Camera Warnings

Post by SwartGevaar »

Off the the Alps in 2 weeks riding there via France - assuming the French have any petrol left by then!  :shirty:

I'm aware that one of the many quirks that the trip will offer is that I'll need to disable speed camera warnings on my Nav V.

I've had a poke around the settings and I've found the setting that turns off the audio alert but can't seem to find the setting to turn off the warnings entirely.

Anyone able to provide me with a hint?

TIA
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Disable Speed Camera Warnings

Post by Steve F »

Is this what you're after...?

On the opening screen, press Settings (bottom right of screen), then.....
- Proximity Alerts (Custom POIs & Safety Cameras) - Alerts (Type of Alerts) - Garmin Safety Cameras. Uncheck the (green tick) box and press Save.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I think you'll find that this is another French legal cock-up.  It's illegal to have the warnings turned on but it's also illegal for French plod to operate your GPS to check. 

Something to do with the lawyers forgetting that without the rider's permission and/or a change in the law, the plod were committing trespass if they take your GPS off you to check.

Of course, they may have corrected that by now - and either way, some of the Gendarmes I've met are not that keen on being argued with...

;)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

My opinion is if you ride crazy & then brake just before the cameras then the police have a reason to pull you over - and check.  Ride at a consistent speed, and do not draw more attention to you you could be safe!  (Not responsible if the pull you over on my words though!  :whistle: )

Also it is legal in France to have speed camera zones activated, not the actual places of the cameras.  This is a case of a badly thought out law.

Germany & Switzerland on the other hand - have banned warnings completely.
Best regards, Sleuth
Iansymm

Post by Iansymm »

The nav 5 indicates hazard zones which extend a mile or so either side of a potential speed camera location. This is allowed under French law as it does not indicate a speed camera but a hazardous area, and reinforces the speed limit in this area.  :beee:
SwartGevaar

Post by SwartGevaar »

Thanks for the input folks - much appreciated!

As mentioned above I think the trick is to not draw the attention of the local plod in the first place!