Fitting RT-P panniers to a R1200RT LC

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
elephant8869

Fitting RT-P panniers to a R1200RT LC

Post by elephant8869 »

Has anyone fitting the police bike RT-P panniers to their liquid cooled RT? I ride an RT-P part time as a blood biker and the slim panniers make filtering through city traffic very easy. I've looked at the police type panniers and they appear to fit the civilian bike. It's a bit of a faff as they mount to a stainless steel frame but the frame seems to clamp onto the normal pannier mounts.any views/experience very welcomeImageImageImage
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Fitting RT-P panniers to a R1200RT LC

Post by Casbar »

As an aside, our Blood Bike group have been told we need to change all future marked bikes to the Yamaha FJR1300. Apparently this will be the only blood bike authorised by the Home Office. Our first one will be delivered sometime in June. Goodbye RT's
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

I haven't heard that about the home office authorisation. Is it only limited to blood bikes? Please let me know anything more you may have on that subject. Cheers
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

elephant8869 wrote: I haven't heard that about the home office authorisation. Is it only limited to blood bikes?
Yes this is purely for Blood Bikes, we currently have 4 FJR's on order  :)
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

elephant8869 wrote: I haven't heard that about the home office authorisation. Is it only limited to blood bikes? Please let me know anything more you may have on that subject. Cheers
Just to add to this, the major issue is the carrying of the Blood Box, the RT-P was not designed for this and the addition of a rack to the radio box is not fit for that purpose esp if you add the possibility of adopting Section 19 of the RTA which will if\when ratified permit the exceeding of a speed limit by 50% so on a motorway you could be travelling at 105mph legally with a box on the back attached to a rack which is simply fastened to the radio hump lid, the FJR with a specially designed rack with the assistance of Yamaha and the Met Police has been tested and certified for the job  :)
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

Casbar and Benchmark, thank you for this unexpected info. I know Devon Freewheeler's has been completing trials with Kawasaki Uk to type approve the GTR 1400 as a blood bike using various blood, milk and pathology boxes. Apparently it's going well and looks like the bike will be approved including use at high speed.  Did your charities find out about the home office approval via the NABB? Would you mind letting me know what charities you work with so that I can get my chairman to get in touch to find out more? PM me if that's more appropriate. Thanks again for this useful info
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Hi, I'll PM you now  :)