helmet help

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
turdboman

helmet help

Post by turdboman »

I live in Florida ,it's hot. in my past i rode harley's usually with no helmet or a make believe half helmet . now i use a dot half helmet .i am wondering if a full face or modular with air flow vents would be cooler than a half helmet with no venting .I slap it on my head ,no air flow in the dome .just wondering .
blokeonthemove

Re: helmet help

Post by blokeonthemove »

Having once skidded down a Swiss road on my belly and ground a good 1/4 if an inch of the front of my helmet I'm firmly in the full face / flip front camp. Although some would argue that the flip has a weaker construction, I like it's convenience although it is a compromise.
msaabr

Post by msaabr »

I use a Shark Evoline 3 and it's the only modular that you can ride on the open position without compromising safety ( it's became a 3/4 helmet).It have the sun screen visor. It's my second one and I do enjoy it.
http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?code_sous_gamme=EV3
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I wear flip fron and always have.  Like blokeonthemove I like the convenience and if I am in a city just crawling I flip the front up.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Always used a flip front (system) helmet.  invented by BMW in the early eighties, I have owed the System 3, 4, 5, and 6.  Each one has been an improvement on the last and surprisingly my 3 back in 1996 cost what I paid for my 6 Evo last year. They are relatively light, totally mist up free and waterproof.  Along with the standard 2 year warranty they are good value for money.
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

I want to know if a well vented full helmet would be cooler than a unvented half hemet ?

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

turdboman wrote: I want to know if a well vented full helmet would be cooler than a unvented half hemet ?

It would certainly be safer!

As for cooler, surely it depends on how hot the weather is.  Eventually, it reaches a stage where being covered up is cooler than being exposed...
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I have used BMW System helmets for a long time, they are a good compromise.  It has a vent on the chin bar that puts a nice flow of fresh air over your visor/face when riding.  It also has a vent in the top that put air to the top of your head which is good when very hot and when I get to built up areas you can flip the front up to get full air in the face at safe lower speeds.  It has a neat drop down sun visor that keeps the bugs out of your face and makes little difference to the fresh air flow.  Hope that help, Peter
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I wear both on my Harely, flip is hotter air flow is ok, but not great. My vote would be stay with the half helmet, but for safety full face or flip as others have said
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Sorry - bad tumble 10 years ago.  The visor and chin of the full face helmet were badly damaged.  So full face only for me, no matter what.