Lights Deflectors For Riding In Europe

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
gazcoo

Lights Deflectors For Riding In Europe

Post by gazcoo »

Hi All

I noticed in the manual for my 2010 RT that it states that you should not use ordinary headlight beam deflectors.  I was just wondering what you all use for driving a UK bike in Europe.

Thanks

Gazcoo
guest2360

Re: Lights Deflectors For Riding In Europe

Post by guest2360 »

In my case for years and years of Europe tours, nothing.  BMW will supply you with a template to make the necessary mask for the 05 to 13 light.  Seem  to remember it costs the earth and you still have to find the right stuff to stick to the glass. Easiest answer is get an LC with DRL.
JonA

Post by JonA »

I don't do anything to my '05 RT either - just get over there any enjoy the open roads  :)
Last edited by JonA on Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: In my case for years and years of Europe tours, nothing.  BMW will supply you with a template to make the necessary mask for the 05 to 13 light.  Seem  to remember it costs the earth and you still have to find the right stuff to stick to the glass. Easiest answer is get an LC with DRL.

Don't you go out in the dark then  :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't you go out in the dark then  :)
Nope. Just cannot remember being on tour and getting so lost it was dark before I got there.
JonA

Post by JonA »

My HIDs are so bright it doesn't matter which way they're pointing  :)
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Last edited by Stratman on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Stratman wrote: Bikes don't need deflectors IIRC
http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/motorcycling-france/
Lots of wrong advice on that link. Doesn't tie up at all with the AA and  RAC .
Only safe option is to get off Eurotunnel and ride east for a few miles.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

I've never encountered any problems, but unless you ride as straight as an arrow, beam deflectors are a waste of time for a bike.  Let's face it, the amount of pot holes, drain covers etc that we swerve to avoid negates beam deflectors anyway !
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

Tagging onto this thread, does the 2014 R1200RT LE LC require light deflectors for travelling into Europe from the UK?
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

If the bike has the DRLs fitted, then that solves the problem of daylight hours riding, doesn't it?
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Here's what I did for my 2010 then 2013 (pre-LC) headlights :
I bought a headlamp protector, copied the template from the BMW workshop manual, and painted it onto the headlamp protector. Stuck it on to the headlamp with the velcro tabs and you have a headlight without the dazzle for European drivers. It does no harm in daylight in Europe or UK and once back home you can remove the protector or replace it with a clear one.
As for the 2014 - on models, am I not correct in believing that they have flat beams and therefore do not require any alteration for travel in Europe ?
DRLs are all I would normally need on my foreign trips, but I have been caught out and spent the last couple of hours before arriving at my hotel on dark, unfamiliar roads (and headlights are needed in tunnels) so we should try to avoid dazzling on-coming drivers.
One of my pet hates is being dazzled by vehicles with badly set super bright HID lights .....
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:I bought a headlamp protector, copied the template from the BMW workshop manual, and painted it onto the headlamp protector. Stuck it on to the headlamp with the velcro tabs. Once back home you can remove the protector.
Ditto for me, on a 2010 & 2012 RT, although I took the Blue Peter approach & used sticky back black plastic & a pair of Val's old knickers.

Last edited by David. on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.