I am detecting a 'flat-spot' when my 2014 RT is under accelleration.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Neil@lancs

I am detecting a 'flat-spot' when my 2014 RT is under accelleration.

Post by Neil@lancs »

Hi Guys

I am a 'Newbie' having picked up my 2014 RT1200RT 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that the bike sometimes feels as though it is hitting some kind of 'flat-spot' whilst under acceleration, especially when moving on from around 3-4000revs and especially with the resumption of twisting the throttle after de-celleration.

I did'nt notice this trait with the demonstrator. I bought the bike from a Motoraad main dealer, it has been back in but they are'nt detecting anything on diagnostics, and their techies have been for a couple of runs on it and can't notice anything untoward.

The fly-by-wire system is new to me but surely it's not that different to conventional is it: I've ridden plenty of BMWs previously, and it's not the 'RAIN?ROAD' settings I'm getting wrong either.

Has anyone had similar experiences to me please? Is it a common trait perhaps? Your advice and comments greatly appreciated.

Neil@Lancs
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: I am detecting a 'flat-spot' when my 2014 RT is under accelleration.

Post by Casbar »

I've got a 2014. Haven't noticed anything, but I did come from a Harley  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Nothing on my 14.  Put it in Dynamic and see what it feels like.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Neil@lancs wrote: Hi Guys

I am a 'Newbie' having picked up my 2014 RT1200RT 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that the bike sometimes feels as though it is hitting some kind of 'flat-spot' whilst under acceleration, especially when moving on from around 3-4000revs and especially with the resumption of twisting the throttle after de-celleration.

I did'nt notice this trait with the demonstrator. I bought the bike from a Motoraad main dealer, it has been back in but they are'nt detecting anything on diagnostics, and their techies have been for a couple of runs on it and can't notice anything untoward.

The fly-by-wire system is new to me but surely it's not that different to conventional is it: I've ridden plenty of BMWs previously, and it's not the 'RAIN?ROAD' settings I'm getting wrong either.

Has anyone had similar experiences to me please? Is it a common trait perhaps? Your advice and comments greatly appreciated.

Neil@Lancs
get the ecu remapped - try Geoff at Hilltop motors. Done afantastic job with mine. as well as smoothing out the dyno curves there's now more bhp and torque. Great results and well worth the money
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: I've got a 2014. Haven't noticed anything, but I did come from a Harley  :)

I came from a 1200 Mutistrada to my 2014.  I didn't notice any flat spots...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Would be interested to know the before and after figures on bhp and torque as supplied by Hilltop
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

RTman10 wrote: Would be interested to know the before and after figures on bhp and torque as supplied by Hilltop
here you go - see attached (the black boxes are where I've redacted my Reg)

bhp before 93.23 @8129rpm, after 113 @ 7658
torque before 70 @ 4281, after 87 @ 6259

measurements at the rear wheel not crank.

The fuelling was very lean to start off with and that has also been well sorted.  Throttle response now lovely and smooth throughout rev range - no dead spots, just cream pie!
Attachments
Dyno remap_Redacted.pdf
(524 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very interesting.  The before figures are about what they produce straight out the box. Have a look at what quite a few bike mags have recorded on their reviews .
Neil@lancs

Post by Neil@lancs »

Thanks very much for that reply Northern Soul, very interesting indeed - and for your input RTman10.  Where are Hilltop located, and was it an expensive job? I would seriously consider that.  I've recently returned from a 1000 mile trio to France and I still can't be 100% sure about this bike. I need to fall in love with it!
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Neil@lancs wrote: Where are Hilltop located, and was it an expensive job? I would seriously consider that. 
Earl Shilton, Leicestershire    http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Will this mess up the extended warranty, would it be obvious if a dealer services the bike? Also so you have to tell the insurance?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It will,probably be obvious to a BMW workshop when they plug it in. If you had an engine failure you might be giving them ammunition to turn down a warranty claim. Then again how would they find out if it's blown.  One of the boxes you tick on insurance is to confirm the bike has not been modified.  Grey area there I suggest.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I had a similar 'issue' with my GS Lc when accelerating hard. Then I noticed the traction control light flashing at the point the bike felt a little flat. Switched the traction off, no flatspot but it picks the front wheel up in the first couple of gears. Could it be the electronics just doing their job?
slparry
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LE Dynamic 2015
Wales

Post by slparry »

Neil@lancs wrote: Hi Guys
Neil@Lancs
My bet would be the exhaust power valve is seized, get it booked into a dealerships computer for diagnostics. If you're not too far away call Hayley at Chester Motorrad
Steve Parry BMW Motorrad (now KTM) sales executive current toys '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic. '14 F800GS ,'03 R1100S Boxercup, '85 R80RS Mono, 1990 K1