Tyres pressure warning

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Ventura

Tyres pressure warning

Post by Ventura »

Riding my new RT today a flashing red warning light appeared- with showing Rear tyre pressure of 1.9 and keep dropping within minutes to 1.1!!  Filled it with air (2.5bars) and drove away to realize it keeps going down... :wonder:  Obviously losing air due to a puncture.... Are these tyres tubeless ???
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Tyres pressure warning

Post by timminator »

Yes, tubeless.  Not to state the obvious, but assuming you already checked for a nail or screw in the tire?  If nothing is apparent, mist the tire with soapy water while rotating in on the service stand, the leak may be revealed where the bubbles form.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ummmmm.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Yes I'll second that Ummmm.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Maybe give up motorcycling. You should never ride with a flat, the TPS is telling you there is an issue.
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Nay, the tyre is fine. You are just riding through an EXTREME weather system.
You know, a couple of pounds in when cold, out when hot :alas:
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Just a word of warning if you were thinking about it but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES PUT A TUBE INTO A TUBELESS TYRE!!!! I'm not actually sure if its possible on the RT but it was certainly possible on my old K75 and I very nearly paid a very high price when the valve stem on the tube sheared through fatigue cracking where it came through the rim. Luckily the valve chose to give up (by going BANG and flying through the air) whilst I was on the garage forecourt  and not 5 minutes later when I was hoping to go for a spin. The tyre had a staple in it but had plenty of tread left so I went to a "motorcycle mechanic" who said it would be ok to fit a tube - WRONG! This guy actually runs his own repair shop and in my naivety I believed him. I don't go to him anymore. The day before it failed I had been happily whizzing down the motorway at 90mph . . . . .
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ventura wrote: Riding my new RT today a flashing red warning light appeared- with showing Rear tyre pressure of 1.9 and keep dropping within minutes to 1.1!!  Filled it with air (2.5bars) and drove away to realize it keeps going down... :wonder:  Obviously losing air due to a puncture.... Are these tyres tubeless ???

Ok re-read your post, this is a wind up right!  8)
Liverpool Brick

[size=2px]Ok re-read your post, this is a wind up right![/size]

I'm not sure it is actually. I think Ventura is asking in a round about sort of way is "are the tyres tubeless?" Answer is fairly obviously "yes" because I, for one, have never heard of a tube with pressure sensors. But there again, what do I know?
All good fun,
Andy
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Obviously don't know what tyres he has fitted, but mine have Radial Tubeless written the side (PR4GT). Although you can put tubes in some tubeless tyres, on my old Harley, I ran tubes in the tubeless tyres, but that was more to do with the wheels having spokes and not massively air tight.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote:
Ok re-read your post, this is a wind up right!  8)

that's what I thought!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Me thinks hes serious.  Just need to read earlier posts. Canada has gone a bit quiet though.
Liverpool Brick

Although you can put tubes in some tubeless tyres,

Have to disagree here - all the feedback I've had after my near miss is just the opposite - don't do it, but its up to you

Did your old Harley go fast enough to put you in danger?  ;)

Last edited by Liverpool Brick on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

lol, the Avons can be used tubeless or with tubes on the spoked rims, in fact they recommend you use a tube. Did 20k and never had an issue. My Harley I just sold, which had tubeless tyres, was a CVO with an 1800 110 engine, tuned to stage 2. It had no issues keeping up with most bikes. I did my ROSPA and IAM on it with the Police, and got to say, I'd never been as quick on a Harley.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

End of story :  got home, next morning wants to take it to fix- complete flat :alas:  ( Metzler)..... First time in 20'years of riding...good thing the BMW has great warning....couldn't find anyone to transfer to dealer... So, decided to check the BMW Road assisted... It was great, a huge truck came to my house within 50 minutes...!!! Picked it up to dealer. We pulled out a 2.5 inch screw.... Put a plug in ( of course it is tubeless....
) and off I went ... :)