Missing screw

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
bieffe
Bike Model and Year: bmw 1200 rt 2007
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Missing screw

Post by bieffe »

I noticed that my left handlebar is missing a screw, it looks like it was torn. At the moment the handle screw is fixed, on picture missing screw is sorrounded by red, any hints for repair. The engine is a BMW 1200 rt, l. 2007.
Attachments
Handlebar.JPG
Liverpool Brick

Re: Missing screw

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Hi bieffe,

By "torn" do you mean the thread is stripped? If so, a helicoil insert may do the trick plus a new screw.
Good luck,
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE
bieffe
Bike Model and Year: bmw 1200 rt 2007
Been liked: 1 time
Slovenia

Post by bieffe »

Google translate, by "torn" I mean that screw is broken on two parts, head of screw is missing, second part of screw is inside handlebar, also attached foto, hope that is something visibile. Probably screw is originally fixed with loctite, really do not know what to do.
Attachments
20160610_134911.jpg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I would  suggest because of what it is, you should consider fitting a replacement bar.  The bolt suggests its made up of 2 different parts but you can only buy the whole thing. If it separates on the move you would be in a whole lot of trouble.
guest3713

Missing screw

Post by guest3713 »

bieffe wrote: Google translate, by "torn" I mean that screw is broken on two parts, head of screw is missing, second part of screw is inside handlebar, also attached foto, hope that is something visibile. Probably screw is originally fixed with loctite, really do not know what to do.
If the bolt head is "torn" off, I'd strip it down to make it look just as it does in your diagram, heat it, then tap handle out of the bar (separate part 2 from part 1). You may then get lucky and find enough screw protruding from the handle that you can grasp with locking pliers and remove.

If there's not enough shank to grab, you'll have to center drill the "torn" bolt, insert removal tool, and remove.  A machine shop may be the best option for having that done if you don't have any experience.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest3713 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liverpool Brick

Post by Liverpool Brick »

Agree with LATiger, looks like you need a bolt extractor to remove broken off bit. Easy enough job if you have the tools otherwise use a workshop.
Andy
1991 K75S, 2011 R1200RT SE