Which Engine Bars?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
iRider

Which Engine Bars?

Post by iRider »

I am looking to fit a set of engine bars, mainly because of some low obsticals between where my 20-5 R1200RT LC is gRaged and the actual road. They are at just the right height to ding the heads and despite being careful it's only a matter of time.

Despite the fact NN always seem to be out of stock? I am looking at Touratech or Wunderlich.

I wonder what people prefer and why?
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
mhr43

Re: Which Engine Bars?

Post by mhr43 »

After much research, I decided on Wunderlich. Seem sturdy enough and relatively easy to fit.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Personal thoughts are that if these "protrusions are that close that you may hit them, surely the engine bars will increase the width of your bike and make hitting them more likely with worse consequences.
???
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I thought that but didn't want to state the obvious.  If space is tight fit the OEM Head protectors. They at least won't  impail you on these unknown object.
iRider

Post by iRider »

They're stone pieces in low walls in a narrow passageway. They have been there since Adam was a lad and are on communal property so can't be removed. I go through them with feet down at walking pace but if a foot slips or a miss judge it they will hit the heads.

But all that's irellevant really, the original question would be the same if I wanted them because I have a tubular metal fettish??
Last edited by iRider on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

I went with ztecnik after trying ilium. Ztecnik permits install of highway pegs closer to the rider--critical for those of use who are not tall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Wunderlich Worked for me.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I'll stay out of this one...

Asking "which engine bars?" is in the same category of question as "when did you stop beating your wife?" as far as I'm concerned!

bebebe
turdboman

Post by turdboman »

Wunderlich i got the chrome love them ,save me several times from at stop drops . yesterday laid it down and damaged the pannier ,gonna order the rear bars today . does anyone know if colored part of the pannier is replaceable ??
ggoldfogel

Post by ggoldfogel »

I have Touratech engine (front end) lower and upper bars and Krauser pannier bars.  I like the combination and only issue is that I can't find a comfortable place to install Ilium footpegs.  With this much cage protection I should theoretically never drop the bike ;-).  3,000 miles so far and still loving the machine.