LC

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Hodge

LC

Post by Hodge »

Took out a courtesy bike today while mine was in for a safety recall.  Blooming eckers like chalk and cheese.

The LC revs that much more and the extra ponies make a massive difference.  I still like the lazy flick ability of my old bike and it,s def a twin whereas the LC could be a four almost.

Got back to the garage to be told that i can keep it till saturday as mine need the recall bits doing and the rear crown bearing £257 quid after 22000 miles.  Don't think that in 40 years of bikes anything so major needed replacing after just 22k.  Christ even my old Bonnie got further than that.  hey ho

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: LC

Post by David. »

Hodge wrote:I still like the lazy flick ability of my old bike and it,s def a twin whereas the LC could be a four almost.
This was an observation when test riding an LC against a TC, the LC felt like an IL4, lost some of the boxer twin character.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Two 1100s, two 1150s, two 1200s, 05 and 09 and now an LC.  And it's still  boxer, just a lot better.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Is there much of a difference in the tc over the 08 model

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Hodge wrote: Took out a courtesy bike today while mine was in for a safety recall. Blooming eckers like chalk and cheese.
The LC revs that much more and the extra ponies make a massive difference. I still like the lazy flick ability of my old bike and it,s def a twin whereas the LC could be a four almost.
Got back to the garage to be told that i can keep it till saturday as mine need the recall bits doing and the rear crown bearing £257 quid after 22000 miles. Don't think that in 40 years of bikes anything so major needed replacing after just 22k. Christ even my old Bonnie got further than that. hey ho
Hodge
It's called bait and switch,
Once you ride the LC RT you won't be happy with anything else, ask me how I know 😎
Same goes for my buddies who rode my new RT, I should be a salesman
Jim
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Same with me.

'Take this for a ride sir, we'll do a valuation on yours while you're away, just leave your Bank details and if you like I'll give your wife a call and break the news to her gently. Oh and just to sweeten the deal there's 5% of the vastly inflated price of accessories'.

'Now just drop your trousers and bend over the desk and we'll consider you done'.

Works every time!

Hodge

Post by Hodge »

He never tried the bend over bit, just as well after being fleeced for a crown bearing replacement after 22K.    bearings do that sir..........well after 40 years of bikes this is the only one i,ve had matey    and the net is full of just a bearing sir  stories
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I had a 09 GS for two years did 18000 miles and every 6000 miles it required a new final drive bearing. Each time BMW did the work under warranty but 3 failures in 18 K is mad. I sold the bike. The LC bikes have a different design and so far mine has 19k on the clock and all is good. Lets hope it stays that way.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Update.

Spoke to thomas at BMW and he  said " BMW uk are not aware of ANY issues relating to crown wheel bearings on the RT".....

I mentioned all of the forum comments and he said" BMW do not recognise any comments or forums relating to BMW motorcycle"

Excellent customer service

Strange that the dealers seem to think there has been a problem.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Hodge wrote: Update.

I mentioned all of the forum comments and he said" BMW do not recognise any comments or forums relating to BMW motorcycle"

If this is true its a shame. If people listen they usually learn something.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Its true, and I have asked for it in writing
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Pity there are a number of very minor issues which could be fixed quite easily and would make the bike even better if they would listen. The result would be so much more than a better bike. It would make their customers believe that BMW cared and would result in a passionate loyalty to the brand.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

The ironic part is thatI,m generally Mr easy going, but as I said previously after 40 years of biking I,ve never had anything go wrong. For this to happen after 22K and for there to be a catalogue of supporting comments is just wrong.