Helmet storing /carrying

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ventura

Helmet storing /carrying

Post by Ventura »

Any idea how to carry/ store a second helmet- except in the rear case ??
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Helmet storing /carrying

Post by timminator »

My Shoei fits in the pannier if you do it just right.  If you have a bluetooth device on the side, it's tough to make the pannier work.
BMW MOA #210438
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

I have 2 Shoei.. Haven't tried It in the pannier...what if all cases are loaded ..?? Such expensive machine and providing a helmet hook-up ( when you parked)  is a problem...?? Or some kind of  Rails on top of the rear top box...??
( hoping BMW are reading this ...😉🤔i
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Full-face and flip front helmets will fit comfortably in the RT panniers, ie upright and facing forward (with Bluetooth comms etc removed). I thought BMW sell rack/rails for the top box exterior??
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ventura wrote: I have 2 Shoei.. Haven't tried It in the pannier...what if all cases are loaded ..?? Such expensive machine and providing a helmet hook-up ( when you parked)  is a problem...?? Or some kind of  Rails on top of the rear top box...??
( hoping BMW are reading this ...😉🤔i

If all bags are full, buy a Helmet bag which locks to the bike. I have two, which are padded, have a steel mesh and a cable which locks to the bike. I would never leave my helmet just locked to the bike in the elements.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

. I thought BMW sell rack/rails for the top box exterior??

They gave them up with the K1200LT in 2010
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:I thought BMW sell rack/rails for the top box exterior??
Wunderlich do a topcase rack, http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r- ... m_store=en
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I tend to store my helmet either in the side pannier - with the SMH10 it is tricky, but possible.  I also use the gloves to provide a bit of protection on the visor.  I have used this method when dropping off the passenger at their destination.

The alternative place I stick it is in the top box.  I certainly would not use it for storage when travelling - it is where I keep all the locks, chains and other hard security devices.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sleuth wrote: I tend to store my helmet either in the side pannier - with the SMH10 it is tricky, but possible.  I also use the gloves to provide a bit of protection on the visor.  I have used this method when dropping off the passenger at their destination.

The alternative place I stick it is in the top box.  I certainly would not use it for storage when travelling - it is where I keep all the locks, chains and other hard security devices.

Best regards
Sleuth

But his question was "where do you store your helmets if the bags are full"
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Difficult one this.
We have stored them on the bike using a security wire through the visor and either pillion handles or another fixing, secured with a padlock.
The problem is that helmets are not very stable on the seats, wind, or an inquisitive passer-by could dislodge them. I do fix them so that they won't hit the ground if they move.
Other than that we have small rucksacks designed to carry a helmet, or the supplied helmet bag slung over the shoulder.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Quite right.  If your panniers are full you are probably on tour.  The last thing you need is to return to your bike to discover some git has tried to get them off and either succeeding or damaged them.  Lot more sensible to keep them with you.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

When panniers are full I use my
LIDLOK barend helmet lock
Jim
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

With empty panniers my Shoei Neotec and attached Sena 10U fit comfortably without removing anything. I use the right pannier and the helmet facing forward, as the left pannier is carrying tools and rain gear. When traveling, both panniers carry gear and clothing in inner bags and the left side contents are moved to the top box. My helmet will be secured with cable and lock through the chin bar to the passenger grab rails. I do remove the Sena when leaving the helmet in the open as it takes but a second to unclip it and disappear.
What works best for one, doesn't mean it works best for all, as indicated by the responses to this thread. Find what works best for you and your gear, regardless of what anyone of us thinks. You will come up with a solution that works for you.
Stay safe, enjoy the ride. 8)
Oh the places we will go
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

T6pilot wrote: When panniers are full I use my
LIDLOK barend helmet lock
[/quote
MY ERROR
Correct spelling LIDLOX
THEY HAVE MODELS FOR MOST BIKES
Jim
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Thank you all for the helpful information and ideas.
V.