Helmet storing /carrying

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sleuth

Re: Helmet storing /carrying

Post by Sleuth »

Casbar wrote:
But his question was "where do you store your helmets if the bags are full"
For myself - If everything is full - I will carry the things.  If parked then the top box is mostly empty, then one, perhaps two helmets can go in.
Best regards, Sleuth
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Whilst Wunderkich advertise these racks for the LC, you'll notice they say 'up to 2013 model year'.

This is because the new style top box lids are double-skinned and have a tendency to crack if weight is loaded to them.

For previous generation boxes, I think the racks are a great way to increase your storage so long as you don't add too make weight up high and destabilise your bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

All BMW top boxes are double skinned.  Probably the reason for the up to 2013 date is the new one is a different shape.
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

The following link provides an example of the top lid cracking where the fixing screws and washers provided by Wunderlich haven't been up to the job of the new style lid. Obviously overloading is the root cause in this instance but experience has shown slightly longer screws (due to an increased gap between the skins) and larger wahers (to spread the load) is helpful. I'm not saying don't get the rack but I thought it helpful to share what others have found on the K1600 forum.

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k16 ... shell.html
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

My old Aria helmet fitted fine in the top box but when I replaced it, the latest model has higher profile vents.  That said, I found that when I put the helmet on its side in the topbox, the lid shuts fine.