2016 Rt - Givi V56 Maxia 4 Top Box Installed

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
euphony290

Re: 2016 Rt - Givi V56 Maxia 4 Top Box Installed

Post by euphony290 »

Thank you for this post. I recently exchanged my FJR for a 1200RT and am delighted with the new bike. I removed the Givi top-box from the FJR and am looking to purchase a fixing-bracket to mount it on the RT. It also has the Admore lighting kit fitted. I mentioned, in another post, about the fixing bracket being expensive and it seems that anything for a BMW is more expensive than almost all other makes. I see the brackets are around £100 but am looking to find the same bracket, cheaper. If anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks!
euphony290

Post by euphony290 »

As you'll see from my previous post, I have acquired the plate GIVI SRA5113. Like other comments, found elsewhere on the forum, I looked at the fitting instructions and thought - Oh no! Here we go again. Very much like self-assembly furniture instructions - a series of diagrams only.

I have also been on Youtube but can't find any videos of installation to view prior to attempting it. Can anyone, who has fitted this bracket, offer advice or knows of any video accessible?
pwbike
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pwbike »

You don't need a video. Just follow the diagrams, it's reasonably straightforward.
Basically you remove the grab rails and standard rack and insert the painted steel plates under the factory rack, then reassemble it with the supplied fasteners and spacers.

My biggest gripe is that they supply allen key screws instead of the factory torx screws, so now you need two sets of tools to work on it.
SW Motech do the same with their tanklock tank bags, it seems like cheap corner cutting on an expensive accessory.
Peter
temesvar

Post by temesvar »

LAF wrote: To me this looks so much better than a ANY BMW case and with the AdMore run/turn/brake lights in it is very nice. Oh and color matched from Shad that is just too close to worry about.
It looks very nice. Congratulations. AdMore lights are a bonus, Am sure you are well seen at night! :kacsint2:
euphony290

Post by euphony290 »

Thank you PWBIKE. I am glad you found it 'pretty straightforward' but, even after your explanation and advice, I still think the diagrams are not too helpful. Interestingly, I have found many other comments, by others who have bought this base-plate, and who also complain at the 'instructions' (diagrams) as being inadequate.

I appreciate your comments however as they in themselves have been helpful and I hope to have a trouble-free installation soon.

Thanks again!
horand

Post by horand »

Hi
I note that Givi state that their SRA 5113 rack plate is not compatible with fitting of a brake light kit?
Any comments would be appreciated?
Thanks
David
pwbike

Post by pwbike »

Is that because it doesn't have electrical contacts in the plate?I'd read that the Givi mounts with electrical contacts were prone to burning out the contacts and not working reliably anyway.The BMW box has a wire and plug that connects under the pillion seat, so it's not any different to doing the same setup with the Givi.I tried to source the big round plug that BMW use, I even found a factory in China that made the plug, but they never replied to my enquiry.
Peter