Navigation V Security

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Morgan

Navigation V Security

Post by Morgan »

Greetings all, I just traded my K1600GT (47,000miles) for a 2016 R1200RT. I love this bike. My wife is looking over my shoulder and adds it is Ebony Met in color. My question is about the Nav. I have the factory nav V. Right now because it doesn't lock in like my K1600 did, I have it in the provided case in my saddle bag. I hate doing that but I don't want someone taking it. Does anyone know any way to lock the Nav in place ?

Thank you everyone that replied. This is why I like forums where we can share ideas. At this time I will place it in the lock storage compartment on the left side. One day I may try using the screw or magnet idea. Ride safe.
Last edited by Morgan on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Navigation V Security

Post by T6pilot »

Morgan
I came up with a simple fix
Drill a small hole on top release button
Screw in a small stainless sheet metal screw along with a thick washer of same size, this will block button from being pushed in, with windshield in parked position impossible to unscrew, windshield full up short Philips allows screw to be removed
I'am terrible at posting pic's but if you PM me with your email address will forward some I took
Jim

Attachments
IMG_1241.JPG
IMG_1240.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG
Last edited by T6pilot on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello Morgan and welcome ! Yes, a much discussed and annoying oversight by BMW re the non-locking of the RT sat nav unit ! Jim's method is certainly one of positive locking, but it's also very straightforward just to simply pop the sat nav unit out each time you leave the bike and stow it in the LH lockable storage bin (in front of the LH speaker grille), where it fits a treat (without the padded fabric case). If you look up the previous forum discussions about this issue, you'll see both Jim's fix and RTman10's storage comments. Simples ! :)
STeinar

Post by STeinar »

Or add some parts and make it lockable by the central lock system: /viewtopic.php?p=12790#p12790

STeinar
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Compared with the K the Nav is much more exposed and in my opinion far more prone to attack.  It would be a two second job to pop it off the catch locked or unlocked.
Far better to just keep the cradle blank in the locker and swap them over .
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Bit of a pointless discussion really, it doesn't lock - end of  :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Compared with the K the Nav is much more exposed and in my opinion far more prone to attack.  It would be a two second job to pop it off the catch locked or unlocked.

That's what I do...
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: Bit of a pointless discussion really, it doesn't lock - end of  :)

Can't argue with that!

;)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

RTman10 wrote: Compared with the K the Nav is much more exposed and in my opinion far more prone to attack.  It would be a two second job to pop it off the catch locked or unlocked.
Being the trusting sort of chappie - every time I leave the bike  unattended - the GPS is taken out of the cradle, and either taken with me, or locked in the glove compartment. (I have a 2010 RT with the mount over the dashboard - so it is really exposed!)

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
Lucky

Post by Lucky »

Casbar wrote: Bit of a pointless discussion really, it doesn't lock - end of  :)

Bad form by me to make my first post by challenging you, but RTman10's suggestion of storing the Nav 5 in the front locker never occurred to me and it's the most useful contribution I've seen in a forum for weeks. Now, what tyre pressures do you recommend for my ebony LC with 14,000 miles and a chipped front mudguard?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Front 2.5. Rear 2.9.  As per the book.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Lucky wrote:
Bad form by me to make my first post by challenging you, but RTman10's suggestion of storing the Nav 5 in the front locker never occurred to me and it's the most useful contribution I've seen in a forum for weeks. Now, what tyre pressures do you recommend for my ebony LC with 14,000 miles and a chipped front mudguard?

Hey we are all friends on here, I love some of the questions, I've just sold my last Harley, so have never had any high tech things like locking sat nav.. Now tyre pressures, you won't need more air as you don't have the fastest colour  :)  If your bike was Quartz Blue, you would need more air  8)