Older RT'S

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Tango

Older RT'S

Post by Tango »

Wonder if someone here could point me in the right direction, been considering a second bike, fancy a fiddle / fettle machine.
So question is how far back to go, ie carbs and no fancy expensive electronic module stuff other than electronic ignition.

R80RT, R100RT, R1100 RT, R1150RT

What about RTP 850, 900 ?

Many Thanks

Marty

Levisp

Re: Older RT'S

Post by Levisp »

There is a guy I chat to at one of my biking tea stops who swears that his 2 1100s are the easiest to play with. I think I would look at a late 1100RT. I believe the later 1150 RT have the dreaded electric servo brakes. My second bike is an old fashioned ST1300 fettle friendly non computer driven black box machine. I considered a 1100RT but decided I wanted something other than another boxer engine bike.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you don't want fuel injection it would have to be the R80 or 100 RT.  All the rest have it along with ABS etc.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Thanks Levisp and Rtman10,

fancied the 1100rt, I like the looks, but not sure about the easy to fettle bit, abs and fuel injection as stated

R100RT is what I originally thought as RTman10 suggests and still affordable.

Honda ST 1100 had crossed my mind bit more affordable than st1300?

fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

I ran a 1100RT for some time. Pretty easy to look after, good old fashioned screw and locknut valve adjustment, no water cooling etc. The fuel injection is very reliable, just a simple throttle body balance which is pretty much the same as syncing a pair of carbs. The ABS is reliable, and even if it does fail the brakes still work as normal (unlike the later 1150RT servo brakes).
It's still a very usable bike as well, with practical touches like the electric screen, heigh adjustable seat, lockable cubby hole and even little vents to direct warm air from the oil cooler onto you during winter.
Go for as late a model as you can, some early ones had gearbox issues. They do corrode under the fairing panels, ACF was not readily available back then! The gear change is a little agricultural, but always positive when selecting gears.
A nice reliable bike that will still cope with touring duties and can be made to hustle. I wish I had kept mine as a winter bike.
This is my old one in the fastest colour available.....
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I owned 2 1100s a 96 and a 98. Never gave me any trouble.  About 4 years ago I rode one a short distance for someone.  Oh boy if felt dated. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: I owned 2 1100s a 96 and a 98. Never gave me any trouble.  About 4 years ago I rode one a short distance for someone.  Oh boy if felt dated.

Yup your right there. Dated, heavy but still fun at sensible speeds.

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Honda ST1100 has carbs. I have seen some very clean examples on Bike Trader. Dated for sure but as reliable as you can get. Make a good winter bike. The V4 is a lovely engine.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Honda ST1100 has carbs. I have seen some very clean examples on Bike Trader. Dated for sure but as reliable as you can get. Make a good winter bike. The V4 is a lovely engine

Do I not remember something about them suffering from the swinging arms rotting away.  Seem to recall it happened from the inside out so it was  always too late when it's spotted.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Thanks fat and fast looking at 1999 1100rt tomorrow in fastest colour low miles 30 something k

Also 2000 st1100 29k miles

also heard about swing arm probs on st, but unsure what they were thanks rtman10 but 2000 is quite late on so should be ok how on earth could you check it out?

thanks again

M

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I believe the swing arm problem on ST1100 is to do with corrosion. I think its a box section design and it can corrode from inside. Do not think its a problem on a well looked after bike. I think riding both will immediately tell you which you prefer. Will be interesting how they compare. Lets us know what you think.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A 2000 that's 15 winters.  How can you check them, no idea.  There must be a forum out there somewhere that will have the answer.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Corrosion is what I alway look for. A bike thats been loved will be very clean and have little in the way of corrosion. Service history is also important. Not necessarily dealer history but some sort of history. I think a very clean, minimal corrosion bike, serviced by a knowledgeable owner and loved, is the way to go. I think thats worth a £1000. Might I ask what your budget is ? I think there are less 1100RTs to choose from than ST1100, so finding the right RT will be harder.
Last edited by Levisp on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

Not found anything under £1200 for either bike, and same for R100 /R 80 generation bikes, however with both bikes having under 40k i am guessing they may not have seen much winter or wet riding for that matter. Only viewing and gut feeling will tell, maybe some history who knows. Anyway my budget is no more than 2k, might strike lucky, also at that price range its not worth traveling far. will let you know tomorrow.  :)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The price of older school bikes seems to going up. I guess its down to the price of new bikes being so high that demand for good older tourers is forcing prices up. 2K seems to be the starting point now. Good luck.