Pump

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Cas21

Pump

Post by Cas21 »

Gents and Ladies. view on best pump to buy please. Sure it has been discussed before but products move on. Read lots about probs with can bus, so happy to put battery connections on. Thx
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Re: Pump

Post by Steve F »

I use a stirrup pump (from Halfords - limited choice of two given Schrader valve) to top up the tyres at home, and I take an Airman portable electric pump (runs off battery via accessory socket on RH fairing) when I'm off riding. Both work absolutely fine, fit for purpose etc😀
Last edited by Steve F on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tango

Post by Tango »

I bought one of these for touring,(topping up etc. it's now on board always. Calibrated gauge with my digital and OK but still carry digi gauge

About £18 Ebay of course
Attachments
2016-05-09 21.00.47.jpg
2016-05-09 21.03.10.jpg
Tango

Post by Tango »

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nippy normans small bike pump. But in the garage I have a normal mid range foot pump, from the 1950s, works great

Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

I bought an airman pump to compliment my 'plug and go'. The canbus on my 2016 RT trips out as soon as you switch the pump on. The only way this will work on my bike is via croc clips on the battery. I was a bit pissed as I bought the pump as it had the right connector for the aux sockets.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

For some reason Mr BMW has limited the amperage of the Aux Sockets to 10 amps. I'm guessing your pump like my Slime Compressor draws 15 amps, hence the trip. The simple answer is to attach a fused lead directly from the battery and route it under the seat for easy access. A bit easier to use than croc clips.
Last edited by Levisp on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Levisp wrote: For some reason Mr BMW has limited the amperage of the Aux Sockets to 10 amps. I'm guessing your pump like my Slime Compressor draws 15 amps, hence the trip. The simple answer is to attach a fused lead directly from the battery and route it under the seat for easy access. A bit easier to use than croc clips.
Funny, I  bought a Slime a couple of months ago.  I tried it out on the tyres to check it worked, I let 5psi out of the rear, plugged the pump into the front auxiliary socket... & away it went. Not stopping until the tyre was over inflated & I switched it off!  How is this? Can't work it out.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Well that beats me. However I must admit I have never tried mine using the Aux socket.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Vince Prince wrote: I bought an airman pump to compliment my 'plug and go'. The canbus on my 2016 RT trips out as soon as you switch the pump on. The only way this will work on my bike is via croc clips on the battery. I was a bit pissed as I bought the pump as it had the right connector for the aux sockets.
Okay. Strange then how mine works fine via a direct plug into the aux socket, as it did previously on my K13GT via the aux socket as well. ???
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

I have no experience of any other BMW so of course I cannot generalise across the brand. On my '16 RT LE when using the rear aux socket, the canbus trips.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Too avoid canbus issues have wired a fused powerlet plug on each of our bikes
On the RT I located it on panel behind battery,( if I did another it would be on upper right side just above the factory plug)
Have been very satisfied with
CyclePump, it's made in USA a little pricy, but industrial grade and a lifetime warranty
CyclePump.com
Jim