Exhaust discolouration…?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ventura

Exhaust discolouration…?

Post by Ventura »

Is it normal to see  Dis-colouration of part of the exhaust (near the Engine )  after only 600 miles …??? :wonder:
guest2360

Re: Exhaust discolouration…?

Post by guest2360 »

Totally normal.  And they won't both blue the same.  Don't try to remove it with anything abrasive.  Most of us just ignor it. 
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

[size=2px]' And they won't both blue the same'[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]As the font of all knowledge do you know why this is?[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
[size=2px]One pipe on my bike has blued quite a bit whilst there is hardly any on the other. I thought the cylinders might be running at different temperatures or pressure.[/size]
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

MacJ wrote: ' And they won't both blue the same'[/size]

[/size]
As the font of all knowledge do you know why this is?[/size]

[/size]
One pipe on my bike has blued quite a bit whilst there is hardly any on the other. I thought the cylinders might be running at different temperatures or pressure.[/size]

You must be accelerating harder round right handers than you do round left handers, leading to different cylinder temperatures.  This issue is further compounded by the fact that one cylinder is further back (out of the cooling breeze) than the other...

:)) :)) :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's a two into one system so the flow will be different in each pipe.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Ah that explains it all! I'm off to Garmisch next week so driving on the wrong side of the road for 10 days will probably even it up, particularly going anti-clockwise around islands.  :-\
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

Why don't someone make chrome heat shields like HD ? That way the head pipe can get ugly, and they will, and the shield will stay nice and clean.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Double skinned chrome header pipes don't discolour, as used on a 1981 Yamaha XJ650.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

yellowjacket wrote: Why don't someone make chrome heat shields like HD ? That way the head pipe can get ugly, and they will, and the shield will stay nice and clean.

I suppose that's the difference between a HD and a BMW - one's built for people who look at bikes, the others for people who ride them.  ;)
Vince Prince

Post by Vince Prince »

DaygloDavid wrote: Double skinned chrome header pipes don't discolour, as used on a 1981 Yamaha XJ650.
Or my 1979 CBX 1000. Maybe twin wall pipe is not available in the Fatherland. It seems odd that the Germans use a decorative chrome finish on the LE, that then heat tarnishes. However, having worked for the Germans in manufacturing for over twenty years, maybe not so odd! This cannot be.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BMW did double skin them on the R1200CL cruiser.  Which is probably why they stopped making the thing quite quickly.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What's the point in paying extra for a chrome exhaust system, stainless steel can be polished more easily to remove discolouration.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

DaygloDavid wrote: What's the point in paying extra for a chrome exhaust system, stainless steel can be polished more easily to remove discolouration.

I think because you get a chrome silencer.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The 2007 RT had a stainless steel exhaust system, (chrome was an option at extra cost),  ss was certainly easier to look after than chrome on 2010 & 2012 RT's.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Vince Prince wrote: Or my 1979 CBX 1000. Maybe twin wall pipe is not available in the Fatherland. It seems odd that the Germans use a decorative chrome finish on the LE, that then heat tarnishes. However, having worked for the Germans in manufacturing for over twenty years, maybe not so odd! This cannot be.
Honda CBX 1000,  my fave bike ever.  I still drool over them