Confession...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Ventura

Confession...

Post by Ventura »

As a newbie to BMW r1200rt style , I'd like to share my own experience (after riding cruisers for over 16 years)
The ride is phenomenal... But I found the stopping really challenging...I guess it has to do with the higher gravitational centre- as opposed to the lower one in cruisers and touring bikes...!?  I mean :in stopping, It is not as solid/ balance as the cruisers...
Any other new 1200rt riders experience this..? I hope the new lower seat from Sargent will help ....??
guest3074

Re: Confession...

Post by guest3074 »

I don't find it an issue but perhaps it's the fact that with the BMW Telelever suspension you're finding it strange that the front doesn't dip as such under heavy braking unlike traditional suspension systems on bikes where the harder you brake the more the suspension at the front compresses and the bike dips more?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

What year is your bike and do you know what type of seat it has at the moment.
Many aftermarket seats attempt to be more comfortable by bring a bit wider.  Net result is they may be lower but you dont get any more of your feet down.
I don't think the front telilever makes any difference to the height at the time you a getting your foot down.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: I don't think the front telilever makes any difference to the height at the time you a getting your foot down.
He was talking about problems stopping the bike, which is why I mentioned the telelever, no mention of putting his feet down  :-\
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

It's the swaying ....when I stop...may be it is me- need to strengthen my Adductors muscles.. ;) .
The lower seat will help my stability- so I will be able to put both feet completely down flat, to reduce the swaying.
It's a 2016 with original seat.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have the same bike but with the OEM low seat.  My inside leg is only 29in on a warm day and I am not far off flat footed on level ground.  With the standard seat I just dangle in the air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just looked back and we have been here before with seat options.  Just wondering if Ventura is just having a laugh.  We all took the bait about "are the tyres tubeless" for instance.
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

I wouldn't do that..I am ( was) pretty naive and uneducated...!!
My inside leg is 30", when I wanted to order the OEM lower seat- I was surprised that the Dealer recommend Sargent !!

PS. I am wondering how the GB break up will affect the prices of new BMW
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Ventura wrote: I am wondering how the GB break up will affect the prices of new BMW

Price will be irrelevant.  We will be expected to hand our BMWs in and all start riding Triumphs...
Ventura

Post by Ventura »

My first bike was a 500cc BSA- that the police used then(1970) . Triumph was also very popular then and has a great come back...I see it at the BMW dealer in my town....!!
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Ventura,
I know you have a great deal of riding experience, but have you practiced low speed figure eights on your RT, it will greatly improve your confidence in the bike
We have a couple dozen tennis balls cut in half (good use of a tennis ball in my opinion)
Place them in a half circle and practice turns and stopping in turns, a little boring, but after some practice you'll be more comfortable. FYI our local PD has practice sessions every week for the motor officers and they ride daily
Jim
pbsrides

Post by pbsrides »

Not sure I've ever heard the braking described as anything but great. I rode Harleys for 20 years and I like them, but braking doesn't compare to the RTW.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ventura

Post by Ventura »

Have done figure 8 with the tennis balls with larger bikes as well. With the RT just figure 8...
I have no problem with riding or when in motion...only the stopping is a little un- stable... But I am improving ..😉
wethead

Post by wethead »

Ventura wrote: As a newbie to BMW r1200rt style , I'd like to share my own experience (after riding cruisers for over 16 years)
The ride is phenomenal... But I found the stopping really challenging...I guess it has to do with the higher gravitational centre- as opposed to the lower one in cruisers and touring bikes...!?  I mean :in stopping, It is not as solid/ balance as the cruisers...
Any other new 1200rt riders experience this..? I hope the new lower seat from Sargent will help ....??

I don't understand this.

The RT is one of the most efficient stopping bikes I ever had--including a pile of cruisers I owned.

I think what may be up for discussion here is the ergonomics of sitting ON the bike instead of IN the bike is something I struggled with on my first RT. I found the higher sitting position and my knees NOT AS bent on stops a thing that I had to grow into.

The other day I sat in an electra glide with a back rest and I felt like I was on a sofa. But it would be hard for me now to trade sportstouring efficacy for cruiser sitting. The GTL sits pretty comfortable and so does the Goldwing. BMW ought to make a more touring oriented sitting position bike. Maybe something like the GT/GTL; how about an RT and an RTL.

If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.