Questions about the 1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
schmuck

Questions about the 1200RT

Post by schmuck »

Hey all.  I'm a Harley rider but recently I've been bitten hard by the sport touring bug.  Been doing a lot of research into which sport tourer may be the right one for me.  So far everything I've looked at is pointing me towards the 1200RT.  Haven't had a chance to test ride one yet, but maybe some of you can help answer a few questions I have. 

1.  I've read about reliability issues but most of what I've read on that seems to be older info.  Has reliability improved in the recent years?

2.  Are there any differences other than paint jobs between the 2014-2016 models?

3.  I've heard that maintenance costs are pretty steep.  Roughly how much do the different service appointments cost?  Is this something you could opt to do on your own without specialized tools? 

4.  Harley dealers for the most part don't budge a nickel off of sticker price for new bikes?  Is this the same with BMW dealers or are they willing to negotiate on price? 

Thanks in advance guys.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Questions about the 1200RT

Post by Casbar »

1. Not many issues with reliability, some corrosion issues, but BMW are very good at putting things right, unlike Harley (I just sold my Harley and bought a 2014 RT)
2. There are not any massive differences, 2017 models have some extra gizmos, such a abs pro
3. Haven't noticed any difference in service etc between BMW and Harley.
4. There are deals to be done, sometimes you get a % off accessories and clothing. If you can live with Harley prices, you will not be shocked.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You will see much about defective switch gear and fuel level components failing. Switchgear failures started in 2010 and stopped being a problem in about 2014. Fuel sensors effect bikes up to 2014.
In both instances BMW are very understanding when it comes to fixing.
Can't comment much on corrosion as I'v not had any on any of my 8 RTs.
schmuck

Post by schmuck »

Thanks guys!
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Hello all. New guy here who tried to post and failed (will try again soon) but since this thread's OP is very similar to me I thought I'd ask a few questions myself. Like the OP, I'm going from Harley over to BMW. Prior to 4 years on HD I did spend 5 years on an R1200C, so I'm quite familiar with the boxer engine.

To the OP, I apologise for hijacking your thread but I didn't think you'd mind. I will say that my wife and I DID test ride a 2016 R1200RT and we LOVED it! And this is after test riding a 2013 RT back before we went over to HD and hated it. We are still kinda surprised on our about-face. I'm not sure what changed in 2014 but something certainly did.

I have two other concerns after our test ride. The pencil-thin grips had my throttle hand going numb in seconds. What is out there for OEM or aftermarket options for fatter grips?

Second, we'll need some sort of riders backrest for the wife. She's used to leaning back on something and it was quite comical when we took off on our test ride and a mile down the road I goose the throttle and almost launched her off the back! (She didn't find it quite as comical...)

To the OP - beware of that. I don't know what kind of HD you rode but my CVO RGC at 900 lbs makes riding the 600 lb RT feel like a scooter and the throttle response between the two engines night and day!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There are a few makes of over grips that sort the small feel and for some the vibration .No pillion backrest available , just a top box with a back rest. Much better idea.
CRUSTYBEEMER

Post by CRUSTYBEEMER »

Methos! Grip puppies are available at many bike shops but since I am rural I went to a sporting goods store and bought Tennis Racquet tape and am very happy with that! Grip heaters still work well this this mod!
2016 R1200RT
apehair

Post by apehair »

Actually, backrests are available for the water-cooled RT:

http://www.bakupusa.com/bmw_models.html
http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Acces ... -Backrest/

Regarding the pencil-thin grips, I hate them, too.  The grips on the previous generation RT's were excellent.  I was bummed they changed them.  I have used tennis racket grips before.  They work great and they're cheap.  Get them at a sporting goods store.

I've owned 14 Harleys.  Love them for a certain type of riding and I enjoy cleaning and polishing them in the garage.  It'z a zen thing.  But the water-cooled RT is in another world altogether.  One is a cool-looking bike, the other is a performance machine. 

And yes, the new version of the RT is vastly superior to the old one.  The old one was capable, but lacked character.  This one has both character and ridiculously good handling. 

I'm 62, and after returning from 4 weeks of traveling outside the US, eating too much and not exercising at all, I rode my new RT (only had 200 miles) for 350 miles over 10 hours.  Perfect recipe for sore muscles.  I was shocked that not a single muscle hurt.  Nothing.  My butt was a bit sore because the stock seat doesn't breathe, and I hated the skinny grips, but everything else was just fine.  That NEVER happens.

ape
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The back rest is something I have never seen in the UK and seems to be a US thing.  With one fitted it looks like a top box is not an option.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: The back rest is something I have never seen in the UK and seems to be a US thing. 

+1 . It seems to one of the many ways in which you can make your R1200RT look like a Harley "Bagger".  :eggs:
John Bentall
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

beemerboy9 wrote:
+1 . It seems to one of the many ways in which you can make your R1200RT look like a Harley "Bagger".  :eggs:

Lol, hardly. Yes, it must be a USA thing as when I went to Ireland a few months back while I saw quite a few RT's none of them had backrests. We like backrests because we like girls. We like to take our women on a ride with us. I don't think I saw any two-up riders in the UK. Guess they leave their women at home!  :enjoying:

Regardless, I'm fairly stoked to see the backrest offerings from Sargent. And the idea of tennis racquet grip tape is interesting. As a life-long tennis player I'm quite adept at regripping racquets!

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The vast majority of RTs in UK are used most of the time 2 up.  So a top box is essential so no need for a back rest.
You saw lots of RTs in Ireland solo.  Different country,
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: The vast majority of RTs in UK are used most of the time 2 up.  So a top box is essential so no need for a back rest.
You saw lots of RTs in Ireland solo.  Different country,

To which I would add that the backrests seem to cost the same as top-box with a built-in back pad. Why not have the combo unless you want to carry a tent or similar on the rear rack?
John Bentall
BackAtIt53

Post by BackAtIt53 »

Hi Ape,
Since we are both the same age and both of us are hot weather riders, may I suggest a "Bead Rider" for your seat. [size=78%]https://www.beadrider.com/[/size] . After yesterdays commute home in 93° heat and 100% humidity, the sweat in the seat of my pants was a call to action. My bead rider should arrive within 2 days. It is amazing how much time  and type is spent, industry wide, on discussions of cold weather gear, yet I find outfitting for Hot weather seems to take a back seat. I don't know about you, but I find outfitting for hot weather much more difficult. Once the temp passes 90°, the choices of protective and/or comfort options narrows down considerably. As I mentioned in a recent post, I have installed the Cee Bailey Sport Screen for much improved air flow, I wear a TEIZ Motorsports 1 piece fully perforated suit when doing any distance or a Joe Rocket full mesh jacket when commuting. Hopefully the Bead Rider seat cover will be the last piece of necessary hot weather specific gear, for a while anyway.
Take care, stay safe. 8) [size=78%] [/size]
Oh the places we will go
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon it's done because the rest looks even uglier than the box. On second thought I have seen similar items over here , on mobility scooters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk