Ferry crossing

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Ferry crossing

Post by daverj »

Hi all. Has anyone used the Hull Zeebrugge ferry crossing? I heard that they don't strap your bike down and don't supply any ratchet straps.  Any tips on lashing a 2015 LC down it will have both panniers still fitted  Cheers guys
R1250RT LE
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Re: Ferry crossing

Post by smileymiley »

Went on it in 2008, Honda  Blackbird to the Nurburgring, they provided the straps & foam for the seat.  Chocks for the front & rear wheels. I had to strap my bike down but there was plenty of crew to give a hand if needed. I did take a small ratchet strap to put from bars to floor. Also put bike in gear & put a strap around brake lever.  Ty wraps work well too.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Hi Dave .. I started my tour this year on 10th June, Hull - Zeebrugge, there was plenty of ratchet straps knocking about, I did my own bike, it was quite busy with bikes, so not sure if help was available.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Thinking of taking my own strap just in case  seems a bit hit or miss depending on time of boarding and where you end up on the ship.
R1250RT LE
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

As an alternate (will take a day of travelling) you can blast down to Folkestone use the train, and then up the motorway towards Oostende & Brussels.  Not sure where you are going, but is that a possibility?

I live in Antwerp, and have visited relatives in Scarborough.  The Hull route was very expensive, so I went via the Tunnel.

Just a thought!
Best regards, Sleuth
Tango

Post by Tango »

Went Hull zeebrugge return this May, no problem whatsoever, loading well organised, ratchet strap provided, you strap it down yourself, put foam or other protection under the strap to protect heated seat element ( i used my gloves).

I was a little apprehensive at first, but no problems and plenty of other bikers willing to assist if required.

Had a great crossing chatting with others, relax and enjoy.  :)

Marty

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's a lot easier by Eurotunnel if you don't mind the ride down to Folkestone, and a lot less money.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Thanks for the information. Folkestone is nearly 300 miles  and Hull around 120 so thought would give it a try. It is all booked anyway part of an organised tour. Just a bit apprehensive leaving my pride and joy in a precarious situation on the boat,would be constantly worrying and not enjoy the crossing.
R1250RT LE
iRider

Post by iRider »

I did the crossing a couple of years ago all be it with a Pan 1300 not an RT. They did provide straps but some of them were a bit oily etc so thankfully I had taken my own.

Don't use the centre stand, it is more stable with the wider spread 3 points of contact created by the side stand. Don't strap over the seal, lift the seat off and strap over the frame using a fleece or bedding roll as protection between the frame and the strap. Get someone to compress the front suspension a little as the pressure will keep the strap taught in rough seas.

10 mins effort strapping is securely will make for a much more relaxed crossing :-)
Last edited by iRider on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Think side stand is definitely the best way to go. Was thinking of using the rear grab rails for the strap but not sure if pannier will be in the way. If I remove seat to lash across the frame where to store the seat. Think a practice is called for.
R1250RT LE
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

We have done this crossing quite a number of times and although it does save a long slog for those of us in the North, the parking for bikes on board is not the best. Most times we have been directed to the mezzanine deck which at busy times can be very crowded and a bit claustrophobic. Bikes are cramed in and trip hazzards are everywhere. A few years ago we saw a lady carrying two helmets and a holdall trip on bike securing ropes and fell between the bikes. She was very shaken. The Access ramp is also very steep and not to be attempted before you can get to the top without stopping, especially with a loaded RT.
P and O have informed me that it is possible to request parking on the main car deck if you are unsure about coping with the mezzanine deck. Once the parking and tie down stuff is over the crossing is great, decent accomodation and good food, albeit like others have said, "at a price".
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Where are you going, when you arrive on this side?
Best regards, Sleuth
daverj
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Towards the Spanish Pyrenees and picos via Andorra (white rose tours) a couple of stops on the way. Looking forward to seeing the Milau bridge
R1250RT LE
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

We usually prefer the P+O Hull-Rotterdam route. The ships are a bit nicer (well we think so!) and the bike parking arrangements are better than those on the Hull-Zeebrugge route. There is a 'fenced off' bike lane down the centre of the car deck, with transverse floor cables. Bikes are parked side-by-side in two parallel lines, like a traffic queue. It's all on one level, so there's no steep ramp or low headroom to deal with. A single wide ratchet strap with a cushion pad is provided for each bike, but if there are lots of bikes, it's a smart idea to bring your own, just in case they're all taken. In any case, I run my own smaller strap from the sidestand to the front wheel, so the stand can't fold up. Bike is in gear and on the sidestand.

If you have a long trip on the continent ahead of you, then landing at Rotterdam rather than Zeebrugge doesn't make much difference in mileages. :)  The roads in and out of Rotterdam port are good and are well signposted. I last used this crossing in 2015. I'm not sure if things have changed since then. ;)
Tango

Post by Tango »

Hull Zeebrugge, couple months back  :)
Attachments
2016-05-19 16.54.23.jpg