Ferry crossing

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Ferry crossing

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I wish there was a scenic route from NE England to Dover / Folkstone.
In the past, I've used a non-motorway route something like this from Ingleby Barwick to the M25. (Click on maps to enlarge).

Ingleby Barwick to Humber Bridge.

Humber Bridge to Peterborough.

Peterborough to M25.
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Has anyone used the Woolwich Ferry to cross the River Thames, if so, typically, what are the queues like & is it free for motorcycles.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Something wrong with the QE bridge across the Thames then....?? ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like there is a dedicated motorcycle area on the ferry, does that mean you can jump the queues & get loaded first.

Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Tango wrote: Hull Zeebrugge, couple months back  :)

Tango, is that your bike front left? HOW much luggage? Were you moving house?! :-)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Looks like there is a dedicated motorcycle area on the ferry, does that mean you can jump the queues & get loaded first.

ImageRe: Ferry crossing
From that picture it does look like Motorcycles would have to be loaded first. Interestingly though the Transport for London Website( who are responsible for the service) states that the ferry is for Pedestrians, Cyclists, Cars, Vans and Lorries. No mention of Motorcycles.
All the same it is worthwhile knowing that the service exists for occasions when the QE Bridge has high wind restrictions.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thank's for the Sceanic route details David, that's interesting. Can you give a rough journey time for that route to the M25.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Back back in 2013 returning from an Austrian tour there were restriction on the QE bridge and the M25 due to high winds.  I decided to ignor then and rode from Ashford to Nottingham in about 3 hours without incident.
Three other bikes went via the ferry , it took them just under 8 hours. Incidentally this was not due to them being concerned about height winds.  They had programmed their GPS's to avoid toll roads while in France and had forgotten to turn them back.
Happy days.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Thank's for the Sceanic route details David, that's interesting. Can you give a rough journey time for that route to the M25.
The route was created with Garmin MapSource, the destination was a Travelodge at Dartford.

To Dartford, the distance is 278 miles in a riding time of 5 hours 25 minutes.

For a comparison, using motorways, Garmin MapSource has come up with 254 miles in a riding time of 3 hours 53 minutes.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:From that picture it does look like Motorcycles would have to be loaded first.
This video would seem to confirm that motorcycles are loaded first, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaQVEP_9JCA
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Once I drove the other way from Antwerp to Scarborough via the tunnel in one day, with a couple of hours break around Brentwood. I was visiting my sister, and said hi to some friends (and collecting my daughter!)
Beginning of the month I was near Telford again entry point via Tunnel. It is my method of choice coming back to the UK.
With regards to the Woolwich Ferry, It is free to all vehicles. As far as I know Motorcycles can scoot to the front of the queue. I certainly would, however it is the done thing here! The alternative is the Blackwall tunnel, but that is even deeper into London.
Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Web site says it's free but it's not a 24 hr service. Main problem is it's in London.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sleuth wrote:Once I drove the other way from Antwerp to Scarborough via the tunnel in one day.
Have done Nurburgring to Ingleby Barwick in one day, approx. 300 miles each side of the tunnel.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Most I have done (solo) is Ingleby Barwick, North Yorks, to Treon which is near Dreux France a distance of 535 miles. That was via the Tunnel. Done it a couple of times but now stay at La Pause Hotel in Evreux which is about 30 miles less.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Now stay at La Pause Hotel in Evreux.
How aptly named, La Pause = The Break.