Ferry crossing

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
scunny1

Re: Ferry crossing

Post by scunny1 »

Ingleby Barwick seems to be a hot spot for RT owners ,see you next week maybe on the Northern meet up?
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

scunny1 wrote:Ingleby Barwick seems to be a hot spot for RT owners ,see you next week maybe on the Northern meet up?
Hopefully yes, weather permitting.

If anyone else is interested, here's a link to the meet up thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2
Last edited by David. on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

DaygloDavid wrote: Have done Nurburgring to Ingleby Barwick in one day, approx. 300 miles each side of the tunnel.
It appears I have started a "Who drove the longest / furthest in one day" competition.

That was not the intention.  I am not even in the neighbourhood of the hardened Iron Butt riders,  It was just an example of what is possible.  I was suggesting that the Tunnel is a viable (albeit long) alternative to the Hull-Rotterdam / Zeebrugge ferry.

Best regards!
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

With the troubles in France I would rather go via Rotterdam or Zeebrugge personally, there again Hull ferry terminal is only a spit away for me.
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looks like the problems at Calais might soon be over .  And just as us Brits have spent a fortune fencing the place in.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

scunny1 wrote: With the troubles in France I would rather go via Rotterdam or Zeebrugge personally, there again Hull ferry terminal is only a spit away for me.
I went via la tunnel on the bike this summer and no issues what so ever  ;)
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

scunny1 wrote: With the troubles in France I would rather go via Rotterdam or Zeebrugge personally, there again Hull ferry terminal is only a spit away for me.
I went via Calais on the 7th October and while there were wood chips on the road, I did not see any signs of migrants.  When I came back on the 10th (Ok it was somewhat later in the evening) I again did not see any signs of migrants.

When I look at the photos it appears the camps are closer to the ferry terminal than the train.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It has effected them both in the past and the tunnel terminal is surrounded by high fencing.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I passed through Calais Ferry Port both outward and return a couple of weeks ago. Never spotted any migrants but lots on Gendarmes along the road side leading from the port.
I also noted that the last three or four "Aires" (rest areas) from Calais on the A26 Autoroute where closed off.
Last edited by Our Gee on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In 2015 I got stuck in Europe for 2 extra days as Eutotunnel declared itself closed due to disruption on the tracks.  Turned out to be striking ferry workers settings things on fire.  Apparently we can't blame everything on the migrants.  You can get your bottom dollar things like that will continue.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Bike It Easy Loops, https://www.amazon.co.uk/BikeTek-Easy-L ... =easy+loop

Could be used to prevent having to tie down across the seat.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The Easy Loops arrived today, should make securing the motorcycle on a ferry or trailer easier without the risk of damage to the seat.

Following the Rider's Manual guidelines for transportation. One easy loop can be placed above the lower fork brace, around the RHS fork leg. The other can be placed around the LHS frame tubes above the pillion footrest plate, (in front & clear of the side case if fitted). This way, the final tensioning can be done against the side stand.

Useful guide for tie-down to a trailer with some photos too, http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/Tiedown2.pdf
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I like the idea of the easy loops, but how are they in reality?...

Whenever I've been on a ferry, the tie down strap that goes over the seat is normally set to about the right length and ready for the grumpy French operative to use. I wonder how they would react if I said "excuse me my good man.. Would you mind terribly not using that one strap and finding two shorter ones to attach to my new red straps? - there's a good chap!"

I think he'd grunt something in French and continue to fit the single strap!
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

David. wrote: The Easy Loops arrived today, should make securing the motorcycle on a ferry or trailer easier without the risk of damage to the seat.

Now you have your Easy Loops which ferry are you booking and where are you going?
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

What would happen should the bike take a tumble in rough weather?

Would the ferry company wash their hands of it because you did not use their staff and/or equipment?

I heard of a Santander ferry that had a very rough crossing last year that lots of bikes fell over and got damaged. Brittany ferries paid out compensation to all the damaged bikes.
Last edited by stayingupright on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.