Ferry crossing

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Ferry crossing

Post by Our Gee »

I made up my own “ferry tie downs” a few years ago for our Hexhead and now have the same ones on our Twincam. I did post pictures on a now defunct website (think it was BM Rider). Briefly they consisted of inch wide nylon strapping loops secured to the frame top tubing adjacent to the battery then poked out between the front and rear fairing panels. The loops protrude about 4 inches. The bike is positioned according to the Ferry deck loops in gear and steering locked and my own Friction Lock straps are passed through the protruding loops. I usually position the “protruding loops” prior to leaving home for the ferry and pull them back through thr fairing gap at a convenient stop after disembarking. They work brilliantly and have never failed, no damaged seat to worry about and un-necessary strain on the fork legs. Blimey, just realised that I have already posted most of the above details on a previous occasion. There is a bit more detail in this post so I’ll leave it as it is.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.