Ferry crossing

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Ferry crossing

Post by Our Gee »

stayingupright wrote: I'm guessing that they supply the chair ... Or do you have to take your own to tie to? ;-)
Can't beat a bit of humour on a Friday morning can you, it was either the chair or concrete a steel ring into the garage floor !!.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

ImageRe: Ferry crossing Re: Ferry crossing
This pic shows the loops as ready for the "strops" to be attached. I leave them as in the pic for the duration of my trip then stow then inside near the battery when not required.
Last edited by Our Gee on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike, are the red nylon loops made from a similar material to that of the ratchet tie-downs & secured using repair washers with nuts & bolts.

Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

DaygloDavid wrote: Mike, are the red nylon loops made from a similar material to that of the ratchet tie-downs & secured using repair washers with nuts & bolts.
Hi David,
The loops are made up from 1" nylon strapping and are the same or very similar to that used to secure new bikes in delivery crates. I joined the two ends (after heat sealing to stop fraying) with repair washes as you noticed but riveted together.
If you would like a closer look I will be around after 1.30 this afternoon.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nice engineered solution & an alternative to putting a ratchet tie-down across the (heated)seat, causing potential damage/deformation.

Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:If you would like a closer look I will be around after 1.30 this afternoon.
Thanks for the offer, see you soon.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

stayingupright wrote: I'm guessing that they supply the chair ... Or do you have to take your own to tie to? ;-)

8)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I guess the degree of stability is also highly dependent on which of us is sitting on the chair!
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Our Gee wrote: Re: Ferry crossing
This pic shows the loops as ready for the "stops" to be attached. I leave them as in the pic for the duration of my trip then stow then inside near the battery when not required.
I've always used the strap across the seat method and never had any issues with permanent deformation of the seat or damage to the heating element. :be happy:
I do like the look of the pre-formed loops though, so that's a project added to the list for this winter. With one each side, I would pull down on the right until the side stand began to clear the deck then pull down on the left to put weight back on the side stand. One more iteration ought to be enough to have the suspension sufficiently compressed to secure the bike against all eventualities. (In first gear, pushed forward to remove transmission slack, steering lock on, front brake lever tied back to the throttle). :clap:
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DaygloDavid wrote: Nice engineered solution & an alternative to putting a ratchet tie-down across the (heated)seat, causing potential damage/deformation.

Ok, two comments, if your worried about the seat, why not just unlock it and stick the straps across the frame. Second comment if you use your own straps and the bike falls or something happens, then the Ferry company will not be liable.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Casbar wrote:If your worried about the seat, why not just unlock it and stick the straps across the frame.
The main side panels are above the height of the frame.
Casbar wrote:If you use your own straps and the bike falls or something happens, then the Ferry company will not be liable.
The straps on the ferry can be used, do they insist that their strap should go over the seat or can other tie-down points be used.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So much easier to ride onto Le Shuttle, hang around for half an hour and ride off.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

daverj wrote:Folkestone is nearly 300 miles and Hull around 120 so thought would give it a try.
Likewise, Folkestone is over 300 miles, whilst Hull is around 100 miles, let the ferry take the strain.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

100 mile to Hull and 180 to the tunnel for me.  On a good day the train can be as little as £50 return so I often go down the night before as it's still a lot less expensive . But at 300 miles I would probably reconsider.
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I wish there was a scenic route from NE England to Dover / Folkstone. Still that's the price us folk oop north have to for living in God's Country !!.