Givi XS308 Tank Bag

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
guest3713

Givi XS308 Tank Bag

Post by guest3713 »

Posted for no other reason than for anyone considering one, here it is. This is a 20L bag that attaches to the bike by specific tank ring, BF17 (Fits R1200GSA as well).

Pros:

1) Looks nice (in my opinion)
2) Underside of bag follows the contours of the tank
3) Bag looks as though it were made for the R1200RT and does not appear awkwardly "perched" atop the tank
4) Comes standard with both a top map window, and an iPad sleeve that attaches to top of bag
5) Has a water resistant inner liner and a rain cover
6) Mounts securely, but detaches quickly and easily for tank filling
7) Tank ring does not interfere with keyless gas cap latch
8) Does not interfere with keyless start button
9) Does not block view of instrument panel or keyless start button
10) Seems to be a nice size for multi day cross country rides
11) Has removable fanny pack with outside pockets for glasses, wallet, etc.
12) Has electrification port front center of bag
13) Includes a protective snap top bag for storage when not in use
14) Reasonably priced at $185.40USD for both bag and tank specific ring

Cons:

1) Mounting hardware is not stainless
2) At full turn, handle bars do contact bag sides.
Attachments
IMG_2408.JPG
IMG_2407.JPG
IMG_2406.JPG
IMG_2404.JPG
IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2401.JPG
Last edited by guest3713 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: Givi XS308 Tank Bag

Post by guest2360 »

As the label says, not made for the RT so fouls the bars on full lock. Must hide the clocks as well.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

The same tank bag that I use.
I like the neat tank fixing but used it once in expanded mode and as RTman says it obscured clocks etc.
I stopped and offloaded part of the contents and used it in its lower mode.
The other thing you have to watch it that ob full right lock, it activates the engine cut-out. Another chance of dropping the bike.
Apart from that, as I got the bag free from my son, I only had to buy the tank ring. So it was a bargain.
:)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like the GS Tanklock also fits the RT.

richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

BeeJay wrote: The same tank bag that I use.
I like the neat tank fixing but used it once in expanded mode and as RTman says it obscured clocks etc.
I stopped and offloaded part of the contents and used it in its lower mode.
The other thing you have to watch it that ob full right lock, it activates the engine cut-out. Another chance of dropping the bike.
Apart from that, as I got the bag free from my son, I only had to buy the tank ring. So it was a bargain.
:)

Sounds like the ideal bag - can't see the clocks and it switches off the engine if you attempt to steer.

I think I'll just keep putting my stuff in the panniers...

:eggs:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If it hits the kill switch on full right lock I would suggest you find a GS owner and sell it on quick.  ITS DANGEROUS.
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

richardbd wrote: Sounds like the ideal bag - can't see the clocks and it switches off the engine if you attempt to steer.
I think I'll just keep putting my stuff in the panniers...
:eggs:
I can see my clocks just fine. "it switches off the engine if you attempt to steer" is quite the exaggeration... Nothing of the sort happens. As I noted in OP, bars do contact bag at full lock.
Last edited by guest3713 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

BeeJay wrote: The same tank bag that I use. The other thing you have to watch it that ob full right lock, it activates the engine cut-out. Another chance of dropping the bike.
I would suggest that if you're not fully supporting the bike with both legs when you have handle bars at full right lock you're at risk of dropping the bike with or without engine cut-out...
Last edited by guest3713 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

I recently bought one of the Givi tanklock bags, the 3D 604. I wanted something smaller, something that didn't hit the bars when at full lock and blow the horn for instance! This one does not hit the factory switchgear, but I do have a radar mount that it just touches. Holds a lot more than I expected. I still have the clear top part for route sheets ( can't see maps anymore without glasses, so just put route numbers on a sheet of paper! ). This is my first tank lock bag, didn't realize that they recommend a tether for them. So, I built one out of parachute cord, shrink tubing, wire ties, and a snap clip. Much better than using the provided shoulder strap for a tether!

WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looking at all,the photos I'm glad I have ever felt the need to use a tank bag. Anything on the tank that might touch the switches on full lock or not is dead dodgy and is going to end in tears.  There seems not a huge difference in the Givi price and a proper one .
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

RTman10 wrote: Looking at all,the photos I'm glad I have ever felt the need to use a tank bag. Anything on the tank that might touch the switches on full lock or not is dead dodgy and is going to end in tears.  There seems not a huge difference in the Givi price and a proper one .

Not sure what a "proper one" is? If you mean the BMW tank bag, well, you might have tears anyway. But since you have never used a tank bag, I wonder why I feel like I am being lectured?
WERKS Quiet Ride windshields and Headlight Protectors for R 1200-1250 RT. 2021 and up RT Quiet Ride Windshields.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Had one on an 09 as they already had the frame on the tank.  With two panniers and a 49 lt top box it just tempted me to carry more than was ever necessary. 
My point is that anything you attach to your bike should not interfere with the controls in any way.  The Givi obviously does.  By proper one I obviously mean the OEM one.  Maybe Givi do one designed for the RT.
realshelby

Post by realshelby »

RTman10 wrote: Had one on an 09 as they already had the frame on the tank.  With two panniers and a 49 lt top box it just tempted me to carry more than was ever necessary. 
My point is that anything you attach to your bike should not interfere with the controls in any way.  The Givi obviously does.  By proper one I obviously mean the OEM one.  Maybe Givi do one designed for the RT.

Perhaps you didn't read my post about the 3d 604 Givi. It does NOT hit the BMW controls/switchgear. It will ever so slightly touch a radar receiver mount I added that sticks out further than the factory controls.

The purpose of a tank bag isn't so much to add luggage capacity. Instead it is to keep items that are needed frequently at hand without unstrapping/unlocking panniers or top cases. Tank bags are meant to be easy to remove and carry with you on fuel stops and when stopping for rest or to eat. The security and convenience of having that small space really makes trips easier.
guest3713

Post by guest3713 »

RTman10 wrote: Looking at all,the photos I'm glad I have ever felt the need to use a tank bag. Anything on the tank that might touch the switches on full lock or not is dead dodgy and is going to end in tears. There seems not a huge difference in the Givi price and a proper one .
I'm glad you've never felt the need to use a tank bag either (despite using one on your 2009), since, as dangerous as they are, you'd surely have crashed by now...

Contrary to what you'd have me believe, in reviewing the Hurt report, the MAIDS report, and the Olsen report, "motorcycle crash due to GIVI tank bag" is not mentioned as being a frequent cause in motorcycle crashes. Nor is using a "proper" tank bag, whatever that may be, noted to be life saving...
Last edited by guest3713 on Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If you look at the post by BeeJay the Adventure bag does hit the kill switch and it was that bag I was referring to. I rest my case that anything you attach to your bike that obscures the instruments or can interfere with the switchgear shouldn't be there in the first place. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk