Not yet an owner

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Vstark

Not yet an owner

Post by Vstark »

So, I have only had 2 motorcycles in my 4 years of riding, both Yamaha cruisers. I am now VERY interested in the r1200rt, mainly because i am  a 5'4" female with a 28" inseam and I believe the lower seat on this bike, coupled with it's lighter weight, will work for me. I am on the lookout for a used one in my area and hope to be able to find one soon.  In the meantime i thought i would read and learn all I can on this forum.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Not yet an owner

Post by T6pilot »

I believe in years past BMW offered both a low seat and low suspension option, today's bikes only a low seat, congrats on the soon to be new ride
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sorry to say you might struggle.  The LC is a minimum of 760mm which is OK  for a 29in inside leg, just.  Pre 2014 bikes were available with lowered suspension and they were 750mm and being a bit lighter is your best bet.  Not many of them around though.They came out of the factory with a non adjustsble low seat but not heated.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

There is a low suspension version of the R1200 GS (A), which according to many on the other forum, is ok. Worth a try to see if it suits. The previous version of the RT with the oil/air cooled engine was a very nice bike and lacks that extra cooling complication of water and it's pump.
Vstark

Post by Vstark »

Thank you all for your input. We have a 2011 RT for sale in my area and I hope to go view it soon. Fingers crossed!
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Vstark wrote: Thank you all for your input. We have a 2011 RT for sale in my area and I hope to go view it soon. Fingers crossed!

Take a step ladder...

;)
Vstark

Post by Vstark »

Funny.....
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Welcome to the forum :) I have a 2011 R1200RT with the lower seat option, am 28'' inside leg and have no probs. Also you might be interested to know that Altberg boot manufacturer in Richmond, N Yorks will make top quality boots to order at sensible prices and can put a thicker sole on, every little helps. good luck.
Tango

Post by Tango »

And, the twin cam engine'd bikes are very capable machines, proven, and affordable. just my tuppence worth  :-*
Vstark

Post by Vstark »

Thanks for the info about the boots, I will look into that. This group is cool!
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Vstark wrote: Thanks for the info about the boots, I will look into that. This group is cool!

Daytona also make a boot that looks completely "normal" from the outside but that has a raised insole to add a bit of height.  It's called the Ladystar GTX.
Vstark

Post by Vstark »

Checking on this! Thanks much.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Vstark wrote: Checking on this! Thanks much.

I still like the stepladder idea the best...

;)
mannylasker

Post by mannylasker »

I have a 29" inseam with the low seat on a 2015. I can "almost" flatfoot but not quite. I'm thinking 28" will be toes only. Good luck in any case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I still like the stepladder idea the best..

Together with a pair of those 1970s high healed glitter boots.