Looking to pick up 17 R1200rt

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
roadrash

Looking to pick up 17 R1200rt

Post by roadrash »

Hello:
        I have a bunch of bikes and the one I am not riding is my 2010 Goldwing ( 9000mi in 6yrs ). Great bike and all that but it's like driving a motorhome. I am more in to the twisties than interstates so looking for a change!. Looking for all I can learn about Bmw.
                            Thanks
                              Rick
He who dies with the most toys wins!
guest3954

Re: Looking to pick up 17 R1200rt

Post by guest3954 »

Go for a couple of hours test ride at local dealership. That's what I did and came back smiling. The RT is an Alpine Tourer and I've found it agile with plenty of torque. Its good two up and a well developed machine.
roadrash

Post by roadrash »

I did get a chance to ride one as a loaner when my S1000rr was in for a warranty work. I only got a chance too put 60mi on it. Very impressed, but it did not have the GPS installed so I would like to see how that works.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

The Motorrad Garmin GPS supplied with my bike has a smart phone link app which you install into your phone. This hooks the whole lot up via Bluetooth and works fantastic. More like a computer than a GPS. If you get one make sure you put 16gb Sd card in it to accommodate the free maps from Garmin. RT is the best bit of kit I've ever owned.  (including Hondas and Hogs). ;-)
roadrash

Post by roadrash »

I have an Apple I phone 6, So I guess that will do the job. I'm not really very tech smart! I'm thought my 09 Goldwing had I lot stuff! looks like I have a lot to learn.
Rick
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a 6s and it all works fine
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The only GPS that will fit the cradle is the Nav IV, Nav V and the Garmin 660.  Only the BMW Navs will fully work with the wheel.  I have the V and it's by far the best GPS I have ever owned
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Still using an iPhone6 with TomTom installed for my satnav.  Mounted on a Ram ball bolted to the satnav blanking plate haha.  Works a treat and of course, for £1.45 a month I get all the traffic delays etc immediately on the TomTom maps so you're diverted etc. 

Its not as good as the real thing of course and I may well end up buying a 660[size=78%], but it was a lot cheaper than the silly £550 BMW wanted for VERY out of date technology.  [/size]
roadrash

Post by roadrash »

Well I sold my Goldwing today, sorry to see it go but I need the garage space. So one steep closer to the RT! Next thing is getting two plates and screws in my neck in a month, So I should be on the new 17RT come spring. Plenty of down time to learn all this electronic CRAP!
                                      Rick