Illium crash bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Morgan

Illium crash bars

Post by Morgan »

I bought Illium crash bars for my 2016 RT. The installation is pretty straight forward until the bar rests against the radiator hose on the right side. I called Illium and spoke to John. He first said it's o.k. if it touches and then he said as long as you can slide a business card in between the bar and the hose it's O.K.. There wasn't, so I ground the mounting holes about 1/16th of an inch and cleaned up a weld on the bottom mounting bracket.  I still couldn't move it away from the radiator hose. I loosened the other side a little more and even put my floor jack under the bars. I still wasn't able to get clearance so I took them off, put a little sledge to it and now they clear. I don't understand why anyone would say its ok for a hose to rub up against metal and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you did. My son is about to buy an RT also and we aren't real happy with my purchase. Thanks in advance, Morgan
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Illium crash bars

Post by T6pilot »

Morgan
I've had bars on a previous 1200gs in all honesty didn't think they would be that great a benefit in a tipover, in a hard slide may even cause more damage, this is just my limited opinon
My last GS and my RT have Machine Art Moto head guards, the rubber, plastic construction provided excellent protection when my GS tried to turn turtle on me😩
Sometimes less can be better
Agreed though bar should not contact hose
Jim
Keith williams

Post by Keith williams »

I have just bought engine crash bars and pannier crash bars from Heed they seem to be very well made and inexpensive
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Post some pictures when you have them fitted and any problems you encountered.  Like the look of these but was waiting for some first hand experience
R1250RT LE
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Me too.
Keith williams

Post by Keith williams »

Will do. £285 seems a fair price including p&p