Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

My 1st ride home...!

Post by Sullivj »

Here she is - isn't she a beauty?

My 1st ride home...!
My 1st ride home...!

So, until today, the biggest bike I'd owned was a 599cc, Honda CBF. So for me, this seemed like quite a step up.

I got the train at 7.05am, and arrived at the bike shop in the pouring rain :-(

What a fantastically comfortable motorcycle. She's done just under 4,000 miles.

I was pleased to learn that I had tyre pressure monitoring and 2x heated seats too.

For me, getting into first gear sounds like you're chucking nuts into an empty paint tin - are they all like that?

The 222 mile journey home was really enjoyable. I was very surprised how much wind the electric screen cuts out, although at 6' 4"", it would suit me if it were a bit higher.

Lots of polishing to do to make it the way I like it (I have MASSIVE OCD!!)

There doesn't seem much difference betweent the electric settings on the shock (ESA?). How do I check it's working?

Looking forward to tomorrow, so I can ride her again.
Last edited by Sullivj on Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Re: My 1st ride home...!

Post by daverj »

My 2015 LC is like that into first. Except for the very first time when starting from cold. Weird  you have a very good looking bike love the colour. Enjoy
R1250RT LE
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Enjoyment starts
Jim
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

Gear is very clunky going into first, even on my new 2016 LC. Occasionally, it makes no noise going into first, usually after I have rolled back a bit.
BMW MOA #210438
bushbikie

Post by bushbikie »

I'm sure you're going to enjoy it!
2016 San Marino Blue
Cas21

Post by Cas21 »

Congrats on the new bike. At risk of upsetting the lc boys, I think you got the best model!
I have had a shock fail but not till around 30k. Am assuming you are adjusting it when you are stopped and it is on the side stand. If you have it on single rider, see how easy it is to touch the floor, then put it on two up and you should notice a significant difference in reach to the floor
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cas21 is correct. When I had one if I sat on it and went from Single ruder to two with luggage my feet nearly left the ground.  Also if you toggle between Comfirt and Sport on the damping you will find it gets a lot stiffer on Sport but also steers quicker.
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

Looking good, my 2006 bike can also clunk when going into 1st. Just look at it as a feature  :)
Tango

Post by Tango »

Nice looking bike, and your comments are similar to mine when I first rode my 2010 model.

You might also find  first gear from neutral when stationary eg. at traffic lights will not select, the trick is to select at same time as pulling clutch lever in.

welcome to the comfortable world, enjoy. :)
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

When you refer to the suspension 'issue', do you mean the difference between comfort, normal, sport modes? If so  try riding on a few undulating B roads and experiment with the modes, there should be a distinct difference, I noticed it on mine very soon after buying it. Good luck.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Thanks for the advice guys. I will have a play with the suspension next time I'm out.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Put it in sport and ride it like you stole it. You will soon feel the difference. ;-)
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

My twincam slides into first gear like a hot knife through butter. No crashing at all. There's a chap in the next street with a Fireblade and I wince as I hear him select first gear.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

This is the 3rd RT I've owned, and ALL of them have had a clunky gearbox.  And since the late 1990's the gearbox has always been a 'mark down' item in surveys such as the Ride Power annual review.  That said, the current RT gearbox is leagues ahead of the RT I had at the turn of the century.  But its not in the same league as the FJR shaft drive I've owned too, or the Pan that I've ridden.  Not sure why Beemers have such a clunky box.