Aux Lights

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Moosehead

Aux Lights

Post by Moosehead »

Hi,

First time posting here so I'll give you the background.

Havent been biking long, just over 2 years and long story short, I've picked up a 2009 ex Sussex police r1200rt with a full history.... And I'm chuffed with it. What a machine!!

My looking to keep the crash bars and hook up some Wunderlich aux lights to them and then use a left over light switch (currently has no function at all) to power it.

Do I need some sort of canbus fuse box or can they be hard wired onto the bike? I've been pointed in the direction of the canbus fuse box on nippy Normans but at £130 on top of the lights, it's making it a little too expensive.

Can anyone help!?

Dan
guest3074

Re: Aux Lights

Post by guest3074 »

Moosehead wrote: I've been pointed in the direction of the canbus fuse box on nippy Normans but at £130 on top of the lights, it's making it a little too expensive.
That's the programmable electronic fuse box at £130, you could use the one that takes ordinary fuses at £70 which is what I use...here 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have a look at the Tour De France currently on everyday on ITV 4.  There are lots of RTs being used on that.  You will have no problem spotting them. With two dipped lights on all the time, and they are always high, there is absolutely no need for auxiliary lights on them.  Think of all the fuel you can buy with the saving.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith williams

Post by Keith williams »

Use an inline fuse and connect straight onto the battery. Simples.
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

What about canbus?
Keith williams

Post by Keith williams »

Going straight from the battery through an inline fuse and switch bypasses the canbus. You would have to remember to switch aux lights off when switching ignition off thats all.
iride4u

Post by iride4u »

Add a relay and you won't have to remember to turn off the lights.
The wiring is easy run one wire from the license plate lamp wire to the switch. The other wire from the switch goes to the control side of the relay. The other side of the control goes to ground. That completes the first circuit. Run a wire from the hot side of the battery to the switched portion of the relay and from the other contact to the lights.