Going to buy

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
bradrcfii

Going to buy

Post by bradrcfii »

About ready to pull the trigger on a new 2016 R1200RT.  I have a question about the GPS they want to sell me for $800.00.  Is it a Garmin?  I already have a Garmin 595LM.  Will this GPS work with the bike?

Anything I should kow becire I pick the bike up?

Thanks,

Brad
guest3074

Re: Going to buy

Post by guest3074 »

Yes it is made by Garmin, the only satnav's that will fit the mount are the Nav IV and the Nav V and the Garmin 660 but this will not integrate with the wonderwheel or the bike audio system.

I sold my Garmin 590lm to pay towards the Nav V and suggest you do the same  ;)
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

You will be far more happy going with the fully integrated Nav V, it's worth the money.  Dealer will usually give you 10% off on any accessories purchased with a new bike, so now is the time to do it.
BMW MOA #210438
bradrcfii

Post by bradrcfii »

Thanks for the 10% tip.

Brad
timminator

Post by timminator »

bradrcfii wrote: Thanks for the 10% tip.

Brad

I should have said "my dealer gave me 10% off accessories", I don't think it's a guarantee, but I would certainly ask.  Also, if you are not currently familiar with Garmin basecamp, I'd suggest you download and start practicing.  It takes a while to come up-to-speed with it, but you can do some cool things once you learn the tricks.

Good luck.
BMW MOA #210438
Twempie

Post by Twempie »

Hello. First post on this board.

I just bought a 2016 and the Nav V, traded in my 1200GS. Like you, I thought about using my current Garmin (Montana 600) on the new bike, but decided to pony up the shekels for an integrated unit, as I didn't want to fart around with yet another Centech wiring project. The Nav V has simpler menus than the Montana, works with current POIs and routes, etc. on Basecamp (on my Mac), and is integrated with the wonder wheel. I'm pretty happy with it. Make sure it works with the wonder wheel before you leave the dealership, my bike had a bad GPS-cradle; fixed under warranty, but still meant an unplanned visit back to the dealer. YMMV.
bradrcfii

Post by bradrcfii »

OK, good on the GPS.  Glad to hear it works with Basecamp as I have a Mac as well. 

There is a used 2012 model down the street for about $8,000 less than new.  Does anyone know if the RT has changed at all between 2012 and 2016?

Thanks,

Brad
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

bradrcfii wrote: There is a used 2012 model down the street for about $8,000 less than new.  Does anyone know if the RT has changed at all between 2012 and 2016?
One big difference is the bike is now water cooled! so yes quite a few changes  ;)
timminator

Post by timminator »

[size=2px]Major differences.  The bike was redesigned in 2014, most notably introducing the liquid-cooled boxer engine.  I don't think you would go wrong with a 2012, but more horsepower and other upgrades from 2014 on.  Oddly enough, wikipedia has a decent explanation of the history.  [/size]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_R1200RT
BMW MOA #210438
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Reality is that the air-cooled and liquid-cooled RTs are radically different bikes.

Lots of opinions about relative merits and both are great bikes in their own ways.  The only way to tell if you like them is to test both. 

For me, coming from a 1200S Multistrada, I'd always found the air-cooled RT (and GS) a bit breathless.  They were good but not in the same class as the MTS from a grin-factor perspective.  The liquid-cooled RT amazed.  I switched and haven't regretted it for a moment.  The only thing that I don't like is the weight of the RT when it comes to pushing it around.

Plenty of others, whose opinions I'm happy to listen to, love the air-cooled boxers.  Mind you, in this case, they're just wrong!

Go try both.  You're bound to like at least one of them...
RTRider_59

Post by RTRider_59 »

Just picked up my 2016 RT this week.  Purchased with the Premium package and GPS. Negotiated the GPS for the sales reps employee discount which resulted in a sell price of $565 plus tax...
bradrcfii

Post by bradrcfii »

Got my new R1200RT today.  Love the windshield, the shift easy system, power cruise, power is good and the bike is much lighter and sportier than my 2014 Valkyrie.  I feel secure on this bike.

I do have a ton of studying to do so I can listen the the radio, etc.  Have not been able to figure out how to save a radio station memory.

I do want to move the bars back.  The only solution I have found is the one from Illium.  Wondering if there are others and if Illium makes a good product.  Also interested in their crash bars and highway pegs.

And one more thing, the bike is a little tall for me.  I thought it had an adjustable seat but found nothing in the manual.  Is my only option the BMW Lower seat for about $400?

Glad to be part of the group.

Brad
Last edited by bradrcfii on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

In your handbook, Section 4 page 80. You even get a picture.  As you have only had it a day I would give it a bit longer before you take it apart and start again.
Pete1200

Post by Pete1200 »

Have you checked the height adjuster plate under the seat?
The seat front mount sits on it. It has two positions which are changed simply by turning the adjuster plate up side down.
May the road ever be your friend, from leaving home till journey's end.
bradrcfii

Post by bradrcfii »

I did find the seat adjuster.  The Low setting was facing up and I am assuming that is in fact the low setting.  If so, I definetly need another seat and looking for alternatives to the BMW low seat.

I saw Corbin has seats but for only previous years, not 2016 models.

Brad