The deal is done - New owner of a 2016 BMW R 1200 RT!!!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Methos1979

The deal is done - New owner of a 2016 BMW R 1200 RT!!!

Post by Methos1979 »

Finalized everything today and rode off the lot with my new 2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic. Pretty excited but a little bittersweet saying goodbye to my HD CVO RGC which was (is) a great bike. But I could not resist the call back to the Boxer any longer. Not a lot of time to ride much before work but at least did ride it to work. Already been online ordering must-have toys for it. So far I've got Grip Puppies, Quiet Ride windshield, front fender extender on the way. Going to add a passenger back rest for the wife but might also do a Sargent low seat as well so might just do all at once since there is a sale this week anyway.

Would like to find some organizer inner bags for the saddlebags. Anyone have any good pointers for that? The only thing I had added from BMW was the valve cover protectors. They made a mistake in the final price in my favor so I had some extra cash and I like the idea of those protectors.

So, what else do I need other than to just ride the heck out of it?!?
Methos1979

Re: The deal is done - New owner of a 2016 BMW R 1200 RT!!!

Post by Methos1979 »

Proof!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1469062308158.jpg
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

That's a sweet looking bike.  I chose the platinum bronze metallic, but like the ebony equally well.
BMW MOA #210438
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

The BMW pannier liners work for me. Excellent quality and unlike others they don't expand meaning no issues when trying and put them in the pannier (sorry saddle bag 😏).
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I think that Ducatiman may be thinking the same way as I was about the expanding liners.
I filled the liners (expanded) and found they wouldn't fit.
Then I realised that you "fill"  the expanded liner and then compress it.
I manage this by lying on the back and zipping it compressed.
Hey presto, the liner fits the pannier (saddle bag) with no problem.
:whistle:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So 2 up and no top box.  That wouldn't work for me unless I went on tour with just a single pair of spare socks.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My wife wouldn't ride pillion without the top box. She is used to a cissy bar on a Harley, so is scared she will fall off. She does have a habit of falling asleep, so a back rest is a must.

But generally don't have the box on unless going somewhere
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Nice one Methos - enjoy!

My new one (also Ebony) just left the factory en route to the dealer (CW).  Should collect it next Saturday.  CW are also supplying head covers and a Nav V, and the box from Nippy Norman's arrived yesterday.  That's got a fender extender, clear film protectors for the tank and panniers (had these on the K13GT - excellent) and a Wunderlich big foot for the side stand.  Haven't been this excited since Christmas 1964 when Santa brought me a trainset.  8 more sleeps......
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Is your new bike a 2017 model or the 2016? Just wondered if they are now shipping the models with the ABS Pro etc
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

We really don't 'tour' perse, just local riding. In fact, I am thinking that the saddlebags (panniers) might even end up not being install all the time. The backrest is a must for my wife while a poster above is used to a backrest from the previous 7 motorcycles, no so much from a comfort standpoint but rather from the greatly increased acceleration of the RT and my proclivity of goosing the throttle and nearly tossing her off the back!

I'd really like to find a small, soft-sided case that has some sort of easy quick connect system to the back rack. Something just to hold the few things we generally do need to take along. Anyone know of something like that? Worst case I'll just use one of the several net bungee's I have lying around. I'll need to take my lunch to work!
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Mine is a 2016. There were no 2017s on the floor.

We originally were all set on getting a Platinum Bronze but at the last minute changed our mind after one showed up on the showroom floor and we compared them side to side and liked the Ebony Metallic just a bit more.

Sprintgull - waiting is the hardest thing to do! You'll be very happy though.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'd really like to find a small, soft-sided case that has some sort of easy quick connect system to the back rack. Something just to hold the few things we generally do need to take along. Anyone know of something like that? Worst case I'll just use one of the several net bungee's I have lying around. I'll need to take my lunch to work!

BMW make a small waterproof bag that fits on the rear rack.  It even has a backrest
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

RTman10 wrote:
BMW make a small waterproof bag that fits on the rear rack.  It even has a backrest

Thanks for the tip - checked them out today and that's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I might not even need the Sargent backrest now that I just ordered for the wife but I'll wait until it arrives to see. I'm sure she'd much prefer the fixed one as opposed to the one on the soft-sided bag but I'll wail to see what the fit is with both.

The BMW bag is surprisingly attractive and holds a lot. Even the small one (the one I'm looking at) seems like it will hold more than everything I would want to carry. I could go one size smaller if they offered such a model. On my short list of purchases!
helyun

Post by helyun »

Congratulations!  You will love it!  I have  the same color....Cee Bailey liners and a SW Motech tank bag... You'll be all set! Get the werks windshield...top notch!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The large version is meant to fit on the million seat more than the rack as the overhang parts foul the pannier.