Another newb question - boxer engine preferred revs?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Masq85

Re: Another newb question - boxer engine preferred revs?

Post by Masq85 »

I have to say that the quick shifter does sound impressive when you're going for that quick overtake - makes you look quite professional to the white van driver leaning out of the window. Unlike many a time when I first started riding (30 years ago) trying to impress the girls at the bus stop on my CBX550 - I lost count of the number of false neutrals and mis-gears that I hit, so embarrassing. Likewise when you're braking heavily coming up to a roundabout the quick shifter makes the bike sound like a MotoGP bike (in my mind at least).  However if I try using the quick shifter under most "normal" circumstances (debatable depending on how hard you normally ride) then it can often sound like a tractor clunking between gears - these are the times that a much smoother gear change can be made by practiced use of the clutch . . . . . although 1st to 2nd almost alway makes a clunk, but that's the same with a lot of bikes.
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

I read somewhere and found to be true that besides closing the throttle on downshifts, the shift lever should be depressed quickly, all the way down and held there for a split second. If not, the slipper clutch will almost make you think you are doing it correctly.

When to upshift? The newer or newest RT has an indicator. I was hoping it would flash prominently when approaching redline, but it is a little arrow on the display that tells you when to upshift at the lowest RPM. Press the Mode button until you reach Settings then Vehicle>Shift Indicator>On.
2016 RT
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Thanks to the many replies and opinions. A few days later of riding and I'm quite used to the engine. Like some of said, I go by feel. I seem to like to 'cruise' between 3-4k. The ShiftPro is pretty useless in gears 1-2-3. 3-4-5-6 are great. I find that as long as I'm increasing speed with throttle 'on' I get smooth shifts most anywhere at about 3.5k and up. I generally shift by feel at somewhere right around 4k give or take.

Downshifting with ShiftPro is done with throttle fully closed as noted by many and is really best by my feel just below 3k unless I'm powering into a corner and need to engine brake. I pretty much just shift manually from 1 to 2 to 3 and back down. ShiftPro for 2-3 and 3-2 works but it's not nearly as smooth. Then again, my bike is really new so maybe it will get better.

Next question: How do I 'engage' the Hill Holder feature? I've not tried it on steep hills yet so maybe that's why it hasn't grabbed yet. How steep an incline do you need to be on? What is the 'activation procedure' for want of a better term?
Last edited by Methos1979 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Hill start does not engage automatically like a car. Come to a halt as normal and then very quickly pump the lever firmly once.  The brake symbol will show on the dash.  It will stay on as long as the engine is running .  Take it off with another pump or just pull away  The dash will flash as its about to come off.  It works uphill, downhill and on the level. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

It's easier to disengage it yourself before pulling away. If you just try and ride off stalling is very easy. You might want to read your handbook, this stuff is covered
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Casbar wrote: It's easier to disengage it yourself before pulling away. If you just try and ride off stalling is very easy. You might want to read your handbook, this stuff is covered

I agree it's easier and smoother to just pump,it off.  Now who bothers to read their books.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: It's easier to disengage it yourself before pulling away. If you just try and ride off stalling is very easy. You might want to read your handbook, this stuff is covered

I'd been using it for 18 months before I discovered the squeeze to disengage trick.  Wish I had read the book!

:))

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: I'd been using it for 18 months before I discovered the squeeze to disengage trick. Wish I had read the book!
:))
Not just me then.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

I'm one of those guys that always reads the manual... usually two or three times to make sure I'm not missing out on something really cool!

The problem with this bike is two-fold: It's wicked intuitive so most everything is easy to just figure out on my own by doing. The other problem is that it's just too much fun so I'm spending every waking moment riding and not reading! But I brought the manual to work tonight so I'll spend some time reading it.

I'm running into another problem though - my jaw muscles are really starting to ache from the huge grin on my face while I ride. Is there some sort of pot or knob or setting to dial back the awesome on this bike?
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

There is some sort of pot, but it's for medicinal purposes only; it's in the manual. Nine?
If you want though, I know a guy who knows a guy
2016 RT