Touring Clothes - Advice needed

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
fimfie

Touring Clothes - Advice needed

Post by fimfie »

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and very new to distance touring. I have had bikes for a while but take delivery of a 1200 RT SE this coming weekend. I need assistance with touring clothes choice. I currently get out in a pair of kevlar denim pants and a good mid range jacket that serves the current purpose. I'm not familiar with wet weather and cold weather gear essentials for touring and was wondering if people could advise me on the basic necessities. I live in Australia about 3 hrs ride south of Sydney on the east coast. Climate is just lower than temperate. Min in winter zero and max in summer 40C. Happy to consider all options including used.
Had bikes most of the time. Looking forward to long tours on my 1200 RT SE
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Touring Clothes - Advice needed

Post by Peter Baker »

Welcome to the forum, I use the BMW Street Guard suits, not cheap but well built and waterproof with built in protectors.  The thermal linings are removable, riding in the UK it only occasionally gets to 0 degrees C and even more rarely up to 40!  Hope that helps, Peter
fimfie

Post by fimfie »

Thanks Peter. I'm on the case. Cheers
Tim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

All depends on the balance of weather you expect to encounter and how many suits you're willing to fork out for...

Here in the UK, I tend to wear leather trousers and textile jacket in the summer (both Dainese) and Rukka textiles with thermal lining in the winter.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Hello and welcome Tim!
My usual clothing for UK Spring, Autumn and Winter is leather trousers, SIDI boots and textile jacket (with lining in/out dependant on outside air temp), and in the Summer armoured (Kevlar) jeans, lightweight fabric (TCX brand) boots with either leather or textile jacket. Works for me and (and jeans/TCX boots and textile jacket) used comfortably on European tours last summer and this one.

At the end of the day, it is indeed a personal choice/preference re bike clothing.  :)
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Steve F wrote: Hello and welcome Tim!
My usual clothing for UK Spring, Autumn and Winter is leather trousers, SIDI boots and textile jacket (with lining in/out dependant on outside air temp),and in the Summer armoured (Kevlar) jeans, lightweight fabric (TCX brand) boots with either leather or textile jacket. Works for me and (and jeans/TCX boots and textile jacket) used comfortably on European tours last summer and this one.

At the end of the day, it is indeed a personal choice/preference re bike clothing.  :)
I have a pair of TCX summer boots,  they're comfier than any of my other footwear (except my stilletoes 😉)
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Maz12 wrote: I have a pair of TCX summer boots,  they're comfier than any of my other footwear (except my stilletoes 😉)

You've got some COMFY stilettos??
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

I've worn MOTOPORT, gear for 5 years, it's top of the line and price reflects it
I consider it the ultimate dress for the crash gear avaible. With the liner installed temps as low 25f, without up to 115f,
My around town gear is draggin Kevlar jeans with either my MOTOPORT jacket or BRITISH MOTORCYCLE GEAR leather jacket
Always with SIDI all road boots
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I gave up any type of leather clothing years ago.  Far too heavy and uncomfortable if it's good for protection nod of course never waterproof.  Comfortable leathers tend to b more for fashion than function. 
Modern textile suites can be far stronger, lighter and of course waterproof. 
For you climate I would  suggest  medium eeight two piece suit with vents and a removable waterproof liner. 
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: I gave up any type of leather clothing years ago.  Far too heavy and uncomfortable if it's good for protection nod of course never waterproof.

Not entirely true.  I have a set of Rukka Merlin leathers, which are laminated with gore-tex pro-shell.  They're bullet-proof quality and 100% waterproof - at least as good as any other kit I've ever had PLUS the leather is perforated AND the whole suit is treated with that clever TFL Cool System, that behaves like reflective material to infra-red light (i.e. heat) so they're not really that hot.

I rode Highway 1 in them and did the Yorkshire Dales in February in them too (admittedly with a heated waistcoat!).

If you only had one suit for everything, these would be close to it.  There are only two downsides.

1.  They are heavy.
2.  They cost more than some bikes!

;)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I agree, quality leather equals heavy and expensive.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Ebay is your friend. If your not worried about BMW stuff, I wear Harley FXRG jacket in the winter, brilliant bit of kit. For the summer, just bough a BMW airflow jacket again off eBay, but only worn once. Seems a good bit of kit and keeps me cool. Boots have have a pair of Altberg leather boots, Gortex lined, brilliant in hot and cold weather, and totally waterproof. Goes, well don't get me on gloves, just bought a pair of Held air n dry, they seem good as well. But have heated Garbing gloves for the winter. Trousers, leather I'm afraid
fimfie

Post by fimfie »

Thank You EVERYONE> I have a bit of info know to go out hunting. Cheers.