Keyless gas cap won't open and/or close

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Unusual

Keyless gas cap won't open and/or close

Post by Unusual »

After 20 months of working properly, the keyless gas cap on my 2015 RT doesn't always open and/or close.  It takes several attempts.  The local BMW dealer insists I don't know how to operate it properly.  Yah, right.  If you've had this issue, what fixed it?  Thanks.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Keyless gas cap won't open and/or close

Post by T6pilot »

On another blog, same reports
Most have solved the problem with a little lube on locking pin
When closing cap it's been suggested that lifting up on the release lever works better than pressing down on entire cap( lift lever while pushing down on cap)
As a side note wouldn't you hate to get to a fueling stop and not be able to open cap,
Just happened to a fellow next to me fueling his Lexus, fuel door wouldn't open, not a happy camper😩
Jim
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

You know, when the sales guy was showing me this nifty feature, that's all I could think about!!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Unusual wrote: After 20 months of working properly, the keyless gas cap on my 2015 RT doesn't always open and/or close.  It takes several attempts.  The local BMW dealer insists I don't know how to operate it properly.  Yah, right.  If you've had this issue, what fixed it?  Thanks.

Has he not gone to your bike with you and shown you how he can open it every time and proved its you. Bet not.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

I had this happen on my Multistrada.  It didn't fail intermittently; it failed permanently - and it was closed!

Only solution was replacement - of the cap, not the bike!

wethead

Post by wethead »

Between this keyless ignition, the keyless gas cap, and the TPM that does not give the 'real-time' psi measurements, I don't know which one to award the number one most ridiculous technological gadgetry ever made. Wait, one worse just occurred to me: an electronic toothbrush; one that you just open your mouth and it jumps from the sink into your mouth and begins to clean your teeth. The iBrush. Sold at Apple stores for $1,700.

On the K16, my first few weeks on the road where spent wandering if the gas cap would open or not--because it always took several time to open. After a while, it settled down to a more consistent functionality and eventually I shed my gas-station anxiety attacks.

Luckily, this second wethead has never given me any 'keyless' problems...but when will the fob batt runs out? nobody knows!

Like an obedient Wetheader, I carry the black plastic magic key in my wallet.

But really: I am waiting for any aftermarket gubber to develop a REAL KEY retro tech for the gas cap and the ignition for these bikes.

There is actually a screw type gas cap that can replace the keyless one on a 2013 K1600--some one either discovered it or created the thing, I can't remember...there is hope.

If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

You know, I don't mind high-tech gadgetry at all. In fact, I like it. But for the love of all things holy, have a backup. Things like 'keyless' ignitions and gas caps should have slots that ACCEPT KEYS JUST IN CASE THE TECH FAILS!

That's just common sense. Of course it didn't stop me from buying the bike!
wethead

Post by wethead »

Amen brother
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Having never found it a chore to open mine with a key, I'm wondering "what's the point in a keyless gas cap"....?!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For that matter what's the point of keyless anything on a bike.  And on the RT it's just plain UGLY and obviously not originally designed for the bike. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Removing the front 2 torx screws on the fuel filler ring will allow you to open the filler cap in an emergency.
The torx tool is in the tool kit.

I wasn't keen on keyless, but actually really like it now.  I'm always mislaying my bike keys whilst touring and can often be seen patting down and checking the plethora of pockets in my motorcycle clobber. Now the fob lives on a lanyard around my next.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

fatnfast wrote: Now the fob lives on a lanyard around my next.

around your next what?

:alas:
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

Bloody predictive text!!!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And when you want to activate the central locking or set the alarm you have the fun of finding the thing round you next and pressing the wrong end 3 times to make it work.  Fod attached to key , attached to steering lock, much better idea.
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

RTman10 wrote: And when you want to activate the central locking or set the alarm you have the fun of finding the thing round you next and pressing the wrong end 3 times to make it work. Fod attached to key , attached to steering lock, much better idea.
Ah, keyless is on my GS not an RT. No alarm, no central locking to worry about. But then the RT just borrows and adapts GS technology  so it's not really suited. The Nav5 springs to mind as an example ;) :alas: