Rear Suspension Wiring Problem. 2012 Twincam

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Rear Suspension Wiring Problem. 2012 Twincam

Post by Our Gee »

Morning all,

Just removed my rear wheel to have the Roadsmart renewed and I have noticed that where the wiring enters the bottom of the rear suspension unit (ESA model) the rubber boot is "split". Further investigation by removing the lower section the the mudguard shows that when the suspension is fully extended, such as when the bike is on the centre stand, the wire has next to no free play. This means that at every cycle of the stand a strain is put on the wire. I have looked further up and behind the rear fairing and there does not seem to be any scope to provide more "slack". I have looked at the MAX BMW parts fiche and it looks like the wire is not listed as a separate part and comes with the Suspension Unit !. Question, does anyone know if this wire can be "un-plugged" from the Suspension Unit as this this would make a repair such as applying "Shrink Wrap" easier.
Many Thanks.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Rear Suspension Wiring Problem. 2012 Twincam

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:Further investigation by removing the lower section the the mudguard shows that when the suspension is fully extended, such as when the bike is on the centre stand, the wire has next to no free play.
I have looked further up and behind the rear fairing and there does not seem to be any scope to provide more "slack".
Having just checked my 2012 TC, there seems to be plenty of "slack" in the wire at the shock absorber when the bike is on it's centre stand.

Could the wire be disconnected at the other end, repaired & rerouted, the main wiring harness may have some movement.
Last edited by David. on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Managed to obtain another couple of inches of "slack" although it did mean dismantling the rear end, Rack, Offside rear panel etc. The wire from the Shock goes to a plug and socket which is mounted on a removable plastic bracket. The bracket had a "spare" mounting lug which was a couple of inches nearer to the shock so that's where it now lives. The split rubber boot at the shock end is now wrapped up with tape until I can think of a more permanent solution as it's not possible to get "shrink wrap" over the plug.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I have noticed that where the wiring enters the bottom of the rear suspension unit (ESA model) the rubber boot is "split".
Could the split rubber boot be super glued.

(Have successfully glued some rubber tap washers into the open ends of the heated grips on the XJ650).