It's here, with an unexpected gift

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sprintgull

It's here, with an unexpected gift

Post by Sprintgull »

Well the great day (Weds) came and I rode the trusty old 13GT west to CW in Dorchester.  How many of us ride our bikes for the last time and think 'Why...'  Anyway, CW had done a great job in sourcing an Ebony RT from the factory, the handover was done, and I set sail.  All of those 'Why?' questions soon disappeared.  Had a cracking ride back through Shaftesbury, Salisbury and Romsey.  Parked the bike in the garage and then went back down for an evening of poking and prodding that happens when a new bike arrives.  That's when I found the unexpected bit - a big nail sticking out of the gently deflating Metzeler Z8 which had covered all of 80 miles.

So, off with the back wheel and tomorrow it's off to Micheldever Tyres for repair or (probably) replacement.  Bugger!  Wish I hadn't laughed at the kind offer of tyre insurance when I collected the bike now......

Saturday afternoon I should be back out there!
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Re: It's here, with an unexpected gift

Post by Sullivj »

How VERY frustrating... Like you possibly will, I'd want to put a new tyre on too.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

See my last post on TPS battery life
My buddy felt the same
Jim
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Sullivj wrote: How VERY frustrating... Like you possibly will, I'd want to put a new tyre on too.

Don't be silly.  Just get it plugged...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

richardbd wrote: Don't be silly. Just get it plugged...

Understand its no longer legal to fix them with a plug.  No doubt some of that EU stuff again.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote:
Understand its no longer legal to fix them with a plug.  No doubt some of that EU stuff again.

since when??
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Haven't heard that one before. So would that make all puncture repair kits illegal as well? I think you can still plug as long as its not on the side walls and in the tread pattern. If you have two holes close to each other, like had, then no repair
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

For about the last 10 years it's been illegal to permanently plug a Z rated tyre.  Repair kits are for temporary get you home fixes. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Found this on MCN site, so not clear if you have to comply with British standard, but there seem to be plenty of people who have had repairs done. Interesting I din't know about the British Standards bit

[size=16px]THE law says repairs have to be good and safe. So if a[/size][size=16px][size=16px]manufacturer is willing to issue guidelines for repairing their tyres, then as[/size][size=16px][size=16px]long as those guidelines are followed the repair would be effectively legal.[/size][size=16px][size=16px]Michelin, Metzeler and Pirelli have issued their own guidelines which permit[/size][size=16px][size=16px]repairs to their V and Z-rated tyres. However Bridgestone, Avon and[/size][size=16px][size=16px]Dunlop's repair guidelines are that you repair their tyres to the current[/size][size=16px][size=16px]British Standards. British Standards were changed in December 1997 to preclude[/size][size=16px][size=16px]repairs to V and Z-rated motor cycle tyres. So it might well be worth bearing[/size][size=16px][size=16px]that fact in mind when you come to replace your tyres.[/size]
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

Rather than rely on well intentioned but not legally reliable advice, I prefer to get info from source, cannot see anything about competent tyre repair being unlawful (in UK)?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... es-1-2.pdf
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

falconmick wrote: Rather than rely on well intentioned but not legally reliable advice, I prefer to get info from source, cannot see anything about competent tyre repair being unlawful (in UK)?

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/510388/mot-inspection-manual-classes-1-2.pdf

Me neither...
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

BSAU159f clearly states no repairs are allowed to high speed Z rated tyres.  So it's everybody's choice but have an incident where insurance is involved and the best of luck with your claim. You are also likely to find limited professional repairers who will ignore that as well.
falconmick

Post by falconmick »

RTman10, I'm not being argumentative in any way, but have researched [size=2px]BSAU159f and cannot see anything that states Z rated tyres cannot be repaired. Can you provide a link to any regulations that shows this please?[/size]
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Apparently if you have your tyres repaired, they no longer have a z rating. No worries then, as I don't know of an RT that can do 150  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

RTman10, I'm not being argumentative in any way, but have researched [size=2px]BSAU159f and cannot see anything that states Z rated tyres cannot be repaired. Can you provide a link to any regulations that shows this please?[/s
Attachments
puntures.PNG