Kill switch vs. Key

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Kill switch vs. Key

Post by timminator »

Gents - A buddy told me today to never use the kill switch to shut off your engine.  That this is equivalent to pulling the power cord on a computer without gracefully shutting down.  You should instead turn off the key, or press the button (if keyless).  Kill switch is for emergency use only.

I say that is hooey, and it doesn't hurt anything.  What do you think?  How do you prefer to shut off your bike?
Last edited by timminator on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Kill switch vs. Key

Post by T6pilot »

One of the service tests by dealer is to shut bike down by kill switch, key or push button and sidestand. Cannot envision a issue using any of the three
Jim
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I think it doesn't hurt anything, on my Harley it was keyless and the only way to switch it off was with the kill switch, nothing went wrong. Saying that I always use the key on the RT, simply because if I use the kill switch, I forget to take the key out  :)  and kept leaving the ignition on.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Never heard of that one, I always kill the engine by kicking the sidestand out as I always leave the bike in gear  :)
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMjoe64

Post by BMjoe64 »

Benchmark wrote: Never heard of that one, I always kill the engine by kicking the sidestand out as I always leave the bike in gear  :)

Yep, agree with this method which stops the bike creeping and you got to put the sidestand down to get off anyway.
Kill switch is emergency use only.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

BMjoe64 wrote:
Yep, agree with this method which stops the bike creeping and you got to put the sidestand down to get off anyway.
Kill switch is emergency use only.

Kill switch is not just for emergency use, no problem using it. Killing the engine by kicking the side stand out, is not exactly good practice. But as everything else, its your bike, you can do what you want. What does the manual say about switching the engine off, I know it says switch off engine before deploying the side stand.  :)
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote:
Kill switch is not just for emergency use, no problem using it. Killing the engine by kicking the side stand out, is not exactly good practice. But as everything else, its your bike, you can do what you want. What does the manual say about switching the engine off, I know it says switch off engine before deploying the side stand.  :)

Good point, if all else fails, read the manual!

Emergency on/off switch (kill switch)
The engine can be switched off easily and quickly using the emergency on/off switch.
WARNING - Operation of the emergency ON/OFF switch when riding. Danger of falling due to blocking of rear wheel. Do not operate the emergency ON/OFF switch when riding.

Parking your motorcycle
Side stand:
Switch off engine.
Fold out side stand and park motorcycle.
If the slope of the road permits, turn the handlebars to the left.
On slopes point the motorcycle uphill and engage 1st gear.
ATTENTION - Poor ground conditions in area of stand. Component damage caused by tipping over. Always check that the ground under the stand is level and firm.
ATTENTION - Loading of the side stand with additional weight. Component damage cause by tipping over. Do not sit on the motorcycle when it is parked on the side stands.

BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

timminator wrote:
Good point, if all else fails, read the manual!

Emergency on/off switch (kill switch)
The engine can be switched off easily and quickly using the emergency on/off switch.
WARNING - Operation of the emergency ON/OFF switch when riding. Danger of falling due to blocking of rear wheel. Do not operate the emergency ON/OFF switch when riding.

And your point is? So its called the Kill switch, does it say "under no circumstances use this to switch the engine off" Nope, you will do no harm using the kill switch to switch the engine off. The only issue you may have, if it breaks and stops you starting the engine. Same as the other switches that stop you starting in gear etc
timminator

Post by timminator »

Casbar wrote:
And your point is? So its called the Kill switch, does it say "under no circumstances use this to switch the engine off" Nope, you will do no harm using the kill switch to switch the engine off. The only issue you may have, if it breaks and stops you starting the engine. Same as the other switches that stop you starting in gear etc

Not trying to make a point, I'm following your advice and looking at the manual.  This is the exact text from the manual.  As I read it, no harm whatsoever in using the kill switch.  It says it's a quick and easy way to switch off the engine.  Cheers.
Last edited by timminator on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW MOA #210438
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sorry, I thought you were saying it should only be used in Emergecy - I apologise  :)  As a point of note, its a EU requirement the switch is called a kill switch.

On the Harley it was called an engine stop start switch  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't really see the point of using the kill switch to turn off.  It just doubles your effort to stop everything . And of course there is always the small chance of forgetting to remove the key, and with keyless the bike would still be able to be ridden away when you walked away.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

When carrying a pillion, if you like to switch the engine off before he or she dismounts, using the kill switch allows you to keep both hands on the handlebars.
timminator

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: When carrying a pillion, if you like to switch the engine off before he or she dismounts, using the kill switch allows you to keep both hands on the handlebars.

Agreed, to me this is a valid argument FOR using the kill switch.  I guess kicking out the sidestand (while in gear) would also also both hands on.
BMW MOA #210438
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Agreed, to me this is a valid argument FOR using the kill switch. I guess kicking out the sidestand (while in gear) would also also both hands on.

Umm, but only one foot.