How do you unclip the low beam headlight bulb?

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
siclmn

How do you unclip the low beam headlight bulb?

Post by siclmn »

I have the dash all apart and still can't get my fingers to unclip the two wire springs that hold the bulb in. Is there a BMW tool for that?
If any of you have made a tool do you have a picture of what it looks like?
Attachments
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1396.jpg
MacJ

Re: How do you unclip the low beam headlight bulb?

Post by MacJ »

You don't need a special tool just very long flexible fingers!
Grip the two circular ends of the clip between the thumb and first finger.
Squeeze the ends gently towards the centre, push them towards the bulb slightly and pull them forward and down. The two side of the clip are held in place by small metal teeth which point towards the base of the bulb. You have to move the wires beyond these to free them.
Be careful as the bottom of the clip (the hinge point) can break of its plastic mount and fall into the fitting.
Best of luck, you'll need it.
siclmn

Post by siclmn »

Hey! success! one side of the clip was easy, the other side took an hour. Now I have the technique down. It's done.
So I guess you don't have to take the whole dash apart like some other posts have said. I didn't really believe that the dealer would go through all that work just to change a bulb.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

MacJ wrote: Be careful as the bottom of the clip (the hinge point) can break of its plastic mount and fall into the fitting.
Mine did... :( Went to the BMW shop to get a new clip only to be told that they shouldn't come off!!!
New headlight under warranty £525!!!
Took the Technician 4hours to fit! Took th whole front of the fairing off.
Whoever designed this ought to be shot! >:D
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: Mine did... :( Went to the BMW shop to get a new clip only to be told that they shouldn't come off!!!
New headlight under warranty £525!!!
Took the Technician 4hours to fit! Took th whole front of the fairing off.
Whoever designed this ought to be shot! >:D

Wow, so you broke the clip and they replaced the whole headlamp. That is good service
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Casbar wrote: Wow, so you broke the clip and they replaced the whole headlamp. That is good service
Well I didn't deliberately break the clip! As soon as I took the second side off it dropped into my hand. ..
But agree good service tho :)
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

smileymiley wrote: Well I didn't deliberately break the clip! As soon as I took the second side off it dropped into my hand. ..
But agree good service tho :)

If that had happened to my old Harley they would have told me to jog off, for not using them to change the bulb
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

<<Be careful as the bottom of the clip (the hinge point) can break of its plastic mount and fall into the fitting.>>

How do I know that?
Because that's what happened at 10.00 pm as I waited for the ferry in Caen when my dipped beam bulb blew. There was a very disconcerting 'Tinkle' as the clip departed from the holder. I rode back from Portsmouth next morning on main beam. Still could have been worse - could have happened on the way out!
Oscar Nelsen

Post by Oscar Nelsen »

If I would have consulted this forum first, I might not have tried this myself, but probably would have anyway.&nbsp; Replaced all 3 bulbs at one time and had no problem taking the clips off.&nbsp; Putting them back on was a completely different story.&nbsp; There is a technique to replacing the clips that I wish I could clearly report and repeat.&nbsp;

What I did was push the clip around the catch in one continuous motion.&nbsp; Push the loop of the clip directly at the catch until it touches, then push the loop off to the hook side of the catch and then quickly back.&nbsp; I was shocked at how easy this was to do the first time I did it.&nbsp; Repeating the movement proved not to be as easy as I hoped.&nbsp; Putting on the last 5 clips on varied from 10 seconds to 15 minutes.&nbsp; The first one took at least 45 minutes until it just slipped right on.

Remove the horn when doing the low beam; one bolt.&nbsp; For the high beams insure you are going at the catch with the clip and not the plastic tabs protruding next to the catch.
2016 RT
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Oscar Nelsen wrote: If I would have consulted this forum first, I might not have tried this myself, but probably would have anyway.&nbsp; Replaced all 3 bulbs at one time and had no problem taking the clips off.&nbsp; Putting them back on was a completely different story.&nbsp; There is a technique to replacing the clips that I wish I could clearly report and repeat.&nbsp;

What I did was push the clip around the catch in one continuous motion.&nbsp; Push the loop of the clip directly at the catch until it touches, then push the loop off to the hook side of the catch and then quickly back.&nbsp; I was shocked at how easy this was to do the first time I did it.&nbsp; Repeating the movement proved not to be as easy as I hoped.&nbsp; Putting on the last 5 clips on varied from 10 seconds to 15 minutes.&nbsp; The first one took at least 45 minutes until it just slipped right on.

Remove the horn when doing the low beam; one bolt.&nbsp; For the high beams insure you are going at the catch with the clip and not the plastic tabs protruding next to the catch.

I could ride to my dealer and back twice over in the time that must have taken!

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

But don't forget most dealers would try to tell you they couldn't be replaced as the complete new headligh unit comes with bulbs fitted.&nbsp; So while your there with a completely worthless bike might as well swap,it for a new one as it now has automatic brakes and throttle and of course no longer needs those old type bulbs that keep blowing.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Beemer boneyard sells the metal bulb clips, knowing I would sooner or later lose one bought several just in case, now I'am assured of never losing one😂
Same can be said for rubber grommets on side panels, bought several from dealer for same reason
Jim
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

[size=20px]MAX BMW Garage R1200RT Headlight Bulb Replacement on you tube,[/size]
[size=20px]
[/size]
[size=20px]Fiddly nut doable [/size]