New bike, new to boxer - vibes through handlebars

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Northern Soul

New bike, new to boxer - vibes through handlebars

Post by Northern Soul »

thanks for bearing with me guys, I know new bike owners and forum members can ask questions that may have been discussed a thousand times before, so thanks for your patience!

Just got the new RT LE- 2016 in blue and grey - a beauty!  I had a K16 before and I'm loving the RT compared to that old supertanker, which did take a HUGE amount of effort to turn at low speeds and felt very unweildy compared to the RT.

I love everything about the RT - almost!  Did lots of motorway miles the other day running a consistent 70-80mph for 2-3 hours and when i got off the bike my hands and fingers were tingling, I guess from the vibes coming through the bars.  Sensation wasn't painful, just unpleasnt and lasted for 20-30 mins after. Haven't had this when running the bike on a range of raods.

I have a ducati multistrada as well, so I'm used to the vibes of a twin, but with that I've never had any of the tingly hand issues.

Basically, has anyone else had this problem and is there a way to resolve it?

thanks

John
guest2360

Re: New bike, new to boxer - vibes through handlebars

Post by guest2360 »

With a brand new bike it's not going to be quite as smooth and unviby as it will be when you get it run in .  I also swapped from a 1600 which has as you know zero vides at any speed so you are sure to be more aware of then now.  Many add extra grips but I have not found the need. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Northern Soul wrote: Did lots of motorway miles the other day running a consistent 70-80mph for 2-3 hours and when i got off the bike my hands and fingers were tingling,

is there a way to resolve it?
Cruise control perhaps on long constant speed runs so you can relax the grip a little ?
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Benchmark wrote: Cruise control perhaps on long constant speed runs so you can relax the grip a little ?
yes of course, thanks. I'm sure that will help

My view..........the vibes are a small price to pay for such a beaut of a bike but if i could lessen that it would be 99.99 recurring % perfect!!!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I have a 2014 and get the numb finger on the throttle side. I have put on some grip puppies, which helped and also don't grip so tightly and also found if I move my hand out slightly on the grip, it also helps. Not a massive issue. Nowhere near as bad as it was on my old R80RT  :)
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Similar view from me...

I've had twins for years, so don't notice the general vibes.  Interestingly the RT (2014 LC) irritates my hands less than my Multistrada did but mine had already done 650 miles when I bought it, so maybe I was already through the worst of the tight engine thing.

Hope you get through it because the bike is definitely worth persisting with...
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

When I was running-in my bike I kept it in RAIN/SOFT mode the entire time, since I was still getting used to it.  I found that when I switched to ROAD/NORMAL the feedback through the hand grips increased.  You might try the soft suspension setting and see if it makes a difference for you.
BMW MOA #210438
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

Na then! Northern Soul, was you singing to your bike "cause your mine" 😄
Enjoy your new RT ... KTF 👍
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

A boxer twin can't compete with  its in-line  'brothers' from a smoothness perspective. Mind you, try the S1000XR and that'll make your hands tingle! ;) The one and only thing that really lets that otherwise great bike down!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Steve F wrote: A boxer twin can't compete with  its in-line  'brothers' from a smoothness perspective. Mind you, try the S1000XR and that'll make your hands tingle! ;) The one and only thing that really lets that otherwise great bike down!

Thats interesting, I run my bike in dynamic all the time, haven't tried the softer setups
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

My previous two tourers (well, sports tourers) were Yamaha FJRs.  Going back to an RT after the silky smooth, bulletproof 4 cylinder of the Yammy took some getting used to.  I fitted grip puppies and it helped quite a lot.  As well as getting the bars to a decent diameter and making them easier to grip, the sponge also takes out quite a lot of vibration.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

oh yeh baby, it sure is a sweet bike.
As I have a Duke, the Mrs has named my RT the 'Duchess' - seems to fit, and makes singing songs to her a bit easier!
Steve F wrote: A boxer twin can't compete with  its in-line  'brothers' from a smoothness perspective. Mind you, try the S1000XR and that'll make your hands tingle! ;) The one and only thing that really lets that otherwise great bike down!
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

yes that xr is a great bike and I may have gone for it over the duke but I just love the twin, and the fill termi exhaust helps!
I think bmw have recalled the xr's to sort out the vibe issue?
Casbar wrote:
Thats interesting, I run my bike in dynamic all the time, haven't tried the softer setups
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

sounds like some hush puppies are the way to go, or just stripping down the old tennis racket!  Nice......I like that idea of using some padded grip tape
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

sounds like some hush puppies are the way to go,

Now they would take some fitting.