Good place to mount video cam?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Northern Soul

Good place to mount video cam?

Post by Northern Soul »

Hi guys

got my new RT (LE - 2016 plate). I want to get a video cam and thinking of mounting that on the bike rather than helmet. Any good recommendations for where and how?

Also, if you have any recommendations for a good camera let me know. Go pro obvious but I know there are probably plenty of good (cheaper) alternatives out there that do just as good a job.

cheers

John
guest3074

Re: Good place to mount video cam?

Post by guest3074 »

Something like this although note that if you move the screen while riding you will alter the camera angle  ;)
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

looks good but as you say, angle of camera will change. I tend to change position of the screen quite frequently as I ride so don't think that will work, but cheers for the idea and link
Benchmark wrote: Something like this although note that if you move the screen while riding you will alter the camera angle  ;)
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I have a similar system mounted on the screen of my RT LC. Moving the screen  makes very little difference to the angle of the shot. It actually only moves by a couple of inches which is probably within the range of movement of the suspension under normal operation.
Works for me.

Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

MacJ wrote: I have a similar system mounted on the screen of my RT LC. Moving the screen  makes very little difference to the angle of the shot. It actually only moves by a couple of inches which is probably within the range of movement of the suspension under normal operation.
Works for me.
Oh ok, maybe it's worth a shot then, thanks for that. Certainly it seems like a great position for good footage!
Any camera thoughts??
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I use the self adhesive Drift mount directly under the headlight, it works for me and virtually vibration free.  I also have a mount on the side of my helmet.  The Drift cameras are low profile when compared to a GoPro.

Search for sofnolime on YouTube to see some of the results...

Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

I use the same mount as Benchmark (see picture) with a sony AZ1VR Action Cam Mini.
Advantage of the sony: you can attach the remote controle to the handlebar. That way you can start/stop recording without dismounting the bike.
Attachments
DSC_0169.jpg
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

This is my Soocoo on a mount I made up for it
Attachments
Soocoo.jpg
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

You could try an SJ4000 from eBay.

Looks like a GoPro and is nearly as good according to reviews.

..... but a lot cheaper.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

sofnolime wrote: I use the self adhesive Drift mount directly under the headlight, it works for me and virtually vibration free.  I also have a mount on the side of my helmet.  The Drift cameras are low profile when compared to a GoPro.

Here it is under the headlight of the bike:

ImageRe: Good place to mount video cam?
fatnfast

Post by fatnfast »

stayingupright wrote: You could try an SJ4000 from eBay.
Looks like a GoPro and is nearly as good according to reviews.
..... but a lot cheaper.
Highly recommended for a great value cam that can also use genuine go-pro and ram mounts.
I have been using mine for 18 months now with no issues and use the footage as feedback when I'm teaching/testing other riders.
They come in at around £50 with all the accessories.just make sure you get a genuine SJCam. The Chinese are now copying there own products!
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

excellent guys, many t6hanks for all the advice and tips
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

fatnfast wrote: Highly recommended for a great value cam that can also use genuine go-pro and ram mounts.
I have been using mine for 18 months now with no issues and use the footage as feedback when I'm teaching/testing other riders.
They come in at around £50 with all the accessories.just make sure you get a genuine SJCam. The Chinese are now copying there own products!
I've seen some made by Qumox and then an SJCam (which says it's the original), and Tailcas. Any ideas what the 'genuine' article will be called as opposed to the copies?
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Sam De Rycke wrote: I use the same mount as Benchmark (see picture) with a sony AZ1VR Action Cam Mini.
Advantage of the sony: you can attach the remote controle to the handlebar. That way you can start/stop recording without dismounting the bike.
I've been looking at this and it looks like a good option especially with the remote. It means you can be more selective rather than as you say, getting on/off the bike, or just constantly filming then having to sift through hours of material.
Is it easy to fit to the mount you have for the bottom of your screen?
Also, do you agree that the angle doesn't change that much with the movement of the screen?  I'm conmcerned about that as I do tend to move the screen around a lot on the fly.
cheers
John
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

sofnolime wrote: I use the self adhesive Drift mount directly under the headlight, it works for me and virtually vibration free.  I also have a mount on the side of my helmet.  The Drift cameras are low profile when compared to a GoPro.

sorry, I'm not fully tech'ed up. What does low profile mean in relation to the footage?