Good place to mount video cam?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Northern Soul

Re: Good place to mount video cam?

Post by Northern Soul »

Sam De Rycke wrote: I use the same mount as Benchmark (see picture) with a sony AZ1VR Action Cam Mini.
Advantage of the sony: you can attach the remote controle to the handlebar. That way you can start/stop recording without dismounting the bike.
presumably, you can also see the actual camera angle because the remote seems to have a little screen, so you can actually see what you are filming?
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Sam De Rycke wrote: I use the same mount as Benchmark (see picture) with a sony AZ1VR Action Cam Mini.
Advantage of the sony: you can attach the remote controle to the handlebar. That way you can start/stop recording without dismounting the bike.

sorry for all the questions........
could you have a mount for your helmet for the sony camera, as well as the one on the screen?
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

yes, you can see what you are filming on the "little" screen of the remote controle. I only use it for start/stop

different mounts are available for the sony action cam.
I also use it on my ski helmet.

more info on [size=78%]https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-az1-kit[/size]

and [size=78%]https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/action-cam/t/action-camera-mounts-accessories[/size]

for the mount on the screen of the bike, I needed an additional adaptor for the gopro mount.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Sam De Rycke wrote: yes, you can see what you are filming on the "little" screen of the remote controle. I only use it for start/stop

different mounts are available for the sony action cam.
I also use it on my ski helmet.

more info on [size=78%]https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/actioncam/hdr-az1-kit[/size]

and [size=78%]https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/action-cam/t/action-camera-mounts-accessories[/size]

for the mount on the screen of the bike, I needed an additional adaptor for the gopro mount.
fantastic, thanks.

where did you get the adaptor for the mount on the screen?  Do you mean the sony fits an actual gopro mount or is it something else?
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

the sony does not fit on an go pro mount

you need something like this [size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/Action-Universal-Conversion-Adapter-Accessories/dp/B00VAX8EEA[/size]
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Sam De Rycke wrote: the sony does not fit on an go pro mount

you need something like this [size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/Action-Universal-Conversion-Adapter-Accessories/dp/B00VAX8EEA[/size]
great, thanks.

Reviews seem really good. Only issue seems to be with battery life - have you found that a concern?
Sam De Rycke

Post by Sam De Rycke »

indeed, battery life is short! I always take additional batteries with me and a power unit to charge the batteries.
iRider

Post by iRider »

I use one of these https://www.joovuu.com/gb/action-camera ... results=51

It's mounted on the front of the screen with mount others have mentioned and its powers from the optional 'car kit' which is switched from an ignition feed.

Brilliant recording quality and the wide angle lense means you get a great view of the road ahead.

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Northern Soul wrote: sorry, I'm not fully tech'ed up. What does low profile mean in relation to the footage?
Nothing with regard to footage both the GoPro and Drift cameras produce excellent footage.  I just think the physical shape of the Drift cameras are better suited to mounting on a motorcycle or a helmet.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Northern Soul wrote: I've seen some made by Qumox and then an SJCam (which says it's the original),and Tailcas. Any ideas what the 'genuine' article will be called as opposed to the copies?
Lots of fakes and fraudulent descriptions on eBay.

The only way I think I can spot a genuine SJ5000 is by looking at the waterproof case. The SJ5000 has three buttons on one side, all the others claiming to be the SJ5000 seem to have only two, or even just the one.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

sofnolime wrote: Nothing with regard to footage both the GoPro and Drift cameras produce excellent footage.  I just think the physical shape of the Drift cameras are better suited to mounting on a motorcycle or a helmet.
excellent, thanks. The drift certainly gets good reviews.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Hi guys
I've gone for the drift ghost-S camera after lots of research. Thanks for all you posts and advice.  I went for the wunderlich mount on the bottom of the screen with a k-edge go pro adaptor.  Here are some pics. It's a sweet set up and the K-edge adaptor is particularly well made (best option for any camera with a standard tripod mount) BUT.....images from here after my first test run this morning seem quite wobbly, certainly not as steady as when the camera is on the helmet.
I'm wondering what this is about, whether others experience the same; is it just the norm for a camera mounted in this position using the wunderlich; could it be that the K-edge is just metal so there's no dampening between the camera set up and the mount??
Any ideas/suggestions very welcome.
thanks

Attachments
2016-08-20 13.50.13.jpg
2016-08-20 09.37.13-1.jpg
2016-08-20 09.36.32.jpg
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

That screen mount looks nicely engineered with its anodised finish, but as you correctly comment, there's no damping from what is quite a high vibration area (just sit and watch the screen area vibrate when you're sat at idle). Admittedly, once on the move, the vibration frequency shifts but still not a 'smooth' vib free area! The addition of some (silicon) rubber washers strategically placed at the mounting arm joints could help in damping out the vibrations. Just my two penneth on the subject.....
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Steve F wrote: That screen mount looks nicely engineered with its anodised finish, but as you correctly comment, there's no damping from what is quite a high vibration area (just sit and watch the screen area vibrate when you're sat at idle). Admittedly, once on the move, the vibration frequency shifts but still not a 'smooth' vib free area! The addition of some (silicon) rubber washers strategically placed at the mounting arm joints could help in damping out the vibrations. Just my two penneth on the subject.....

great, thanks Steve
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Northern Soul wrote: Hi guys
I've gone for the drift ghost-S camera after lots of research. Thanks for all you posts and advice.  I went for the wunderlich mount on the bottom of the screen with a k-edge go pro adaptor.  Here are some pics. It's a sweet set up and the K-edge adaptor is particularly well made (best option for any camera with a standard tripod mount) BUT.....images from here after my first test run this morning seem quite wobbly, certainly not as steady as when the camera is on the helmet.
I'm wondering what this is about, whether others experience the same; is it just the norm for a camera mounted in this position using the wunderlich; could it be that the K-edge is just metal so there's no dampening between the camera set up and the mount??
Any ideas/suggestions very welcome.
thanks
I think you might struggle to damp out any movement as the mass of the camera is well forward of the fixed mounting point creating a large bending moment around the fixed mounting point.  Any flex due to road or machine vibration will be amplified because of the distance from the camera to this fixed point.  The best way to eliminate this would be to try and brace the camera to a second mounting point somewhere below the existing fixed point, but this would be a lot of work.  If the movement is caused my road or machine vibration, I think flexible mounting dampers would actually make things worse by reducing the rigidity of the whole system.

John